My Community
General Category => Coaching & Training => Topic started by: Andy H on July 29, 2014, 11:13:39 PM
-
I have recently embarked on the British Cycling, Level 2 coaching course, sponsored by the club. This involved an intense and very interesting 2 day course at the National Cycling Center in Manchester.
The next step on the course is to demonstrate 6 one hour practical sessions and this is where YOU come in!
The sessions would be ideal for children and newer, less experienced club members, having said that it was quite enlightening to have the basics skills experienced rides take for granted, broken down and explained.
Are there club members with kids who fancy being the next Geraint Thomas or Lizzie Armistead? Why not bring them along and join in yourself. There is no lower age limit but children have to already be able to ride their bikes.
Any newer members keen to learn how to use their gears properly, practice cornering skills and how to ride in a group? Come along and have fun while learning skills and techniques.
The sessions are planned for mid-August to mid-September and will be weekday evenings or Saturday/Sunday afternoons depending on who is interested.
They have to be held off-road i.e. in a car park or playing field and will be in the Bridgend area.
If you are interested please post here, PM me, email acharries@aol.com or phone 07504436270 for any additional information.
I AM EXPLORING OPTIONS FOR VENUE, SO IF ANYBODY WORKS IN A SCHOOL, COUNCIL OFFICE, CHURCH OR COMPANY WITH A CAR PARK THAT MIGHT BE AVAILABLE PLEASE LET ME KNOW USING THE ABOVE CONTACT DETAILS
-
Hi
My 6 year old would definitely be interested in this.
She is really confident, but would benefit from some coaching from someone who isn't me.
Hope th help
-
If you can get my 6 year old to ride without stabilisers....
Seriously though my 9 year old is really keen although she doesn't have gears on her bike.
-
Sounds great Andy. Think I should try to get my 8 yr old to attend, but think weekends would work better than evenings for us anyway.
can I get coached as well.
-
Thanks for the responses.
Chris not having gears is no problem, plenty of skills to practice without needing gears, as long as the bike has freewheel not fixed rear wheel.
Will, definitely OK for parents to join in! (better than having them criticizing from the sidelines) ;D
I'm on holidays in France until Monday will sort out timings and locations when I get back.
Andy
-
Hi Andy
Let me know when you are doing the coaching I have two kids you can coach.
-
Hi Andy
Another 6 year old available as a Guinea pig if we can make the times.
Cheers
Shawn
-
I can start these sessions this Saturday afternoon, if this suits people.
Would plan on starting around 2pm and the session would be for an hour.
I'm flexible on start time if people would prefer to start later than this but couldn't be any earlier.
Who could make it this weekend?
The venue, initially would be the car park of the Vine Christian Centre, Hayes Tce (off Cemetery Road) in Bridgend.
I've been trying to find who 'runs' Bridgend Industrial Estate in order to get permission to use one of their car parks but not had much luck yet.
Post, txt or phone to let me know if you can make this Saturday
-
Hi Andy
Saturday is ok for my kids could you confirm on Friday if it's still going ahead.
-
Hi Andy
I am not sure on Car park arrangements on the estate, but I can enquire about the CG carpark which is where my colleagues park their cars.
Cheers
Shawn
-
PS Will try and be there but may be off camping
-
Thanks Shawn.
Will wait to see if any others can make it and confirm on Friday
Andy
-
Andy
we should be around
WIll
-
Coaching will go ahead tomorrow, starting at 2.00 pm. Please can you meet at 1.45 as there is a bit of form filling to do before we start.
I should have mentioned that it's open to non-club members so if your kids have friends who are interested, then bring them along, as long as an adult can sign a consent form.
The session will run for about an hour, to include helmet and bike safety check, warm up, basic skills and techniques and cool down.
Postcode for Hayes Terrace,if you're using satnav is CF31 1NB.
Forecast looking OK, hope we can have some fun while learning to be better cyclists! ;D
-
Re:- Coaching location.
The 'church' car park is adjacent to a industrial/builders yard. As you turn into Hayes terrace there are steel gates, go through and turn to your left and you will see the parking area
-
Thanks Andy kids enjoyed your lesson just could do with being two hours long lol.
-
Andy I would like to also extend my thanks. It was a nice relaxed session and all the tutees seemed to be very attentive to the coach.
Great stuff and Evie is already looking forward to the next session.
Cheers
-
Thanks for the feedback, glad they enjoyed. They certainly had a smile on their faces for the most part.
I'll be in touch regarding the next session.
-
hi Andy, Imogen really enjoyed the session so is looking forward to the next one
-
Due to people being away over the Bank Holiday, I'll hold the next coaching session
on Saturday 30th August at 2pm. Same venue, Vine Christian Centre, Hayes Terrace, Bridgend
Age range of those attending last week was 6 - 14 years of age but emphasise that sessions are open to all.
My daughter who is 20 joined in and enjoyed!! ;D
-
Confirming that coaching will go ahead this Saturday, 2pm at Vine Christian Centre car park. CF31 1NB
All welcome.
-
Hope to see you there, especially now we know how to find it!
-
we should be there
-
Saturday 7th September
Coaching will be at the same venue at 2pm.
Venue is Vine Christian Centre, car park. Hayes Terrace, Bridgend. CF31 1NB
All welcome, see you there.
-
No coaching for the next two Saturdays, next session will be Saturday 27th September 2.00pm.
I'll post nearer the day to confirm time and location.
-
Confirm the next session will go ahead this Saturday 27th September, 2pm.
Venue: Vine Christian Center, Bridgend. CF31 1NB
This week will be a follow on from the last session, working on cornering.
See you Saturday!
-
Coaching will go ahead tomorrow, 2p.m. Vine Christian Centre, Bridgend
All welcome, see you there!
-
The last of the 6 sessions in this block of coaching will be on this Saturday, same time 2pm and same venue, Vine Christian Center Bridgend.
I aim to continue with coaching sessions over the winter, probably once a month and weather permitting. Keep an eye on the forum.
See you there!