My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Steven on July 27, 2014, 03:09:52 PM

Title: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Steven on July 27, 2014, 03:09:52 PM
Hadyn, Steve 'Kid' Curry, Jason T, Paul N and myself.

Porthcawl, Port Talbot, Neath, up the bank ( We all got Strava top 10's so worth the effort!), Penderyn to the foot of Pen y Fan, A470, Merthyr. At this point there was a touch of wheels and Paul went down.  We dispatched him off to hospital with a suspected broken collar bone and sorted his bike out and then continued.  Pontypridd to Brackla.  This was 90 miles at 19.7mph.  I then did another loop to get 102miles in.

Great riding conditions and good company, marred by the accident- get well soon Paul....
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Jason T on July 27, 2014, 04:03:45 PM
Good pace on the ride today and not too hot, I think your 08:00 start time was a good decision.

I'm waiting to hear back from Paul, lets hope it's a fast recovery and not a multiple break.
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: harpo on July 27, 2014, 05:47:26 PM
Yeah best of luck to Paul on his recovery! Fastest pace I've ever done over a good distance, great experience, thanks to Stephen and Jason for tow home!!
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Steve Chapman on July 27, 2014, 08:21:56 PM
Anyone know how Paul is?
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Jason T on July 27, 2014, 08:24:53 PM
Paul says that it has snapped and he's making an appointment tomorrow to get it looked at.
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Paul Nicholas on July 27, 2014, 09:26:36 PM
I'm off to the fracture clinic tomorrow with a broken clavicle, I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow. Just wanted to say big thanks to the guys today who looked out for me after the bump, especially Steven for convincing the Ambulance that it would be a good idea to come and pick me up! Also bike retrieved from the taxi man no problems. Guess I'll be out for a month or so, any suggestions on keeping the fitness up in the meantime? Thinking exercise bike in the gym?
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Steven on July 28, 2014, 02:26:56 PM

Exercise bike or turbo is what the pros do..

ps - I have your Oakleys...
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: xrayspecs on July 28, 2014, 06:55:52 PM
Have a turbo you can borrow if you want.
PM if you need it.
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: wardhaugh on July 28, 2014, 08:16:27 PM
Speedy recovery Paul - hope to see you out again soon.
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: RichardB on July 28, 2014, 09:09:32 PM
Speedy recovery Paul.
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Toestrapsteve on July 28, 2014, 09:57:39 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Paul. Your fitness level should help, and there's nowt broken there judging by the way you & Steven blasted up to the reservoir from Penderyn.
Think I prefer my original moniker Steve, albeit toe straps now discarded. That said I could have robbed anyone of a Mars bar by Pontypridd!
Thanks for dragging me around lads.
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Steven on July 29, 2014, 09:14:08 AM
Steve,

Good to see you are of an age to understand the nickname !  I will of course refer to you by your proper title of toestrapSteve in future...
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Paul Nicholas on July 29, 2014, 12:43:32 PM
Thanks everyone, see you all in 6-8 weeks!
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Jason T on July 30, 2014, 07:03:25 AM
You'll have to get on that turbo to keep those legs spinning, hope it's a quicker than usual recovery rate on your collar bone.
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Rob Jones on July 30, 2014, 09:12:34 AM
Congrats Paul, you are the 1st person I know to have broken collar bone on bike. Seen it lots on tv and know its one of the most common injuries. In my eyes it makes you a proper rider! Good luck with the recovery.

Rank the following in terms of risk (I don't know the answer btw):

Commuting on bike
Club runs
TTing
Racing
chaingang
Training solo
Watching tv and eating biscuits
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Steven on July 30, 2014, 10:53:21 AM
Road Racing has to be higher..

Track Racing?

I had my accident whilst training solo...
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Rob Jones on July 30, 2014, 11:27:34 AM
Chaingang has a very good accident record. I've had 1 minor accident in 5 seasons of road racing and crits but they certainly occur there. Witnessed a few on club runs but only minor ones and usually due to a lapse in concentration or something slippery on the road. TT feels quite safe to me if keep your head up but team TT less so...would make for an interesting piece of statistical research I reckon!
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Tom on August 01, 2014, 09:10:16 PM
I would remind you of my broken collar-bone on the cattle grid at Ogmore by Sea Rob but I realise you prefer not to know me!

ps Swift recovery Paul-I found trying to sleep the worst(I think Rob P has broken his quite regularly)
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Rob Jones on August 01, 2014, 09:32:23 PM
I would remind you of my broken collar-bone on the cattle grid at Ogmore by Sea Rob but I realise you prefer not to know me!

Harsh Tom...didn't you have a serious accident in a TT, negating my theory that this is one of the safer forms of riding?
Title: Re: Extreme Pacers ride Sunday 27th
Post by: Tom on August 01, 2014, 09:53:14 PM
Air ambulance and operations 2 different hospitals-that's why I had to give up TT's!!