My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on July 12, 2014, 07:48:20 AM
-
For various reasons I can't make Sundays until August 17th.
Post your routes and intentions over the next few weeks for other interested parties or
turn up at Brackla and discuss!
-
A friend and colleague is thinking of joining the amblers club run tomorrow, if so I may join them as I'll be running a new groupset, new saddle position and new shoes which may be a little uncomfortable ~ I guess I'll find out on the way to the club run...
-
Back in the area, but riding with the Ambler's. Paul's got a nice route planned.. Just what I need !
-
In west Wales but happy to plan a route for the following Sunday.
-
Sounds good to me.
-
Hi pacers. Been a bit bust but still planning a route for tomorrow. It will involve some nice scenery and hills but nothing silly. And no more than about 65 miles. I'll post something later this evening, about 9pm. Just popping out shortly to test my winter bike is in working order having emptied a ca of GT on it!
-
Lets hope your winter bike survives the test ride
-
Yes it survived Jason, though it felt horrid to ride - been feeling very much at one with my summer bike of late.
As promised and sorry its a bit late. Not sure on cafe stop...can't think of anything except perhaps top of caerphilly mountain
http://www.strava.com/routes/645978
-
I'm in. Good job I ride a compact.
-
It was a hilly one for the pacers today - excellent route from Rob.
Steve Chapman, Jason T, Rob J, Chris and yours truly set off East until Llantrisant where we headed up the hill to Penycoedcae. As soon as we hit the bottom of the descent of that it was up Graigwen - hard climb, but great road at the top to Llanwonno. Descent to Perthcelyn, then at Abercynon we headed up to Gelligaer Common, then back down Rob's favourite descent to Merthyr Garden Village. Then we headed up a nice gentle climb onto the common between Nelson and Senghennydd (tricky descent), and on to Caerphilly. At this point someone usually comes up with an excuse to not go up the mountain, but nobody could think of one, so we toiled up in the heat and stopped at the cafe. After descent to Tongwynlais we then headed up the ridiculously steep Garth Mountain climb - not helped by a generous sprinkling of sand that sat at the steep hairpin. Thereafter Rob lead us through some cyclocross trails until we emerged at Cross Inn. Rob was on his cycloX bike, the rest of us contemplated some bike cleaning this afternoon.
A lot of steep climbs - I think we all agreed this was a lot tougher than a Bwlch/Rhigos/Maerdy combo. Really enjoyable though, and some new climbs for me. Gwaelod-y-Garth was amusing, but I'll not be adding it to my commute.
Good climbing by all today - but Chris must have taken it easy on his TT yesterday judging by the way he rode away from the group up to Senghennydd common.
-
Nice report Allan. Sorry about the condition of some of the lanes from the garth to cross inn, but at least they avoided any further climbing! For me caerphilly mtn seemed by far the hardest though our ride profile would probably suggest a couple of others were at least as tough.
-
No worries Rob - overall it was a fantastic route. And my bike looks lovely and shiny now.
Good climbing up Garth - 4th overall, and you were on a cross bike and not pushing it.
-
I did push it up the Garth...just took a while to get going!
-
I reckon Steve Chapman looks a bit like Simon Yates on the bike...similar posture suggesting Steve has a good setup and climbing position.