My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: ron b on July 04, 2014, 03:10:53 PM

Title: Frame renovation.
Post by: ron b on July 04, 2014, 03:10:53 PM
I have stripped down my old steel frame, now ready for removing the paint. so the questions are as follows; do I sand blast, do I chrome bits, what is the best paint to use where to get Decals. If I chrome, what is the cost and where locally can it be done. Re polishing and sealing alloy bits and pieces. All this can be thought out while watching the football, tennis and Home and away (Tom).All suggestions most welcome.
Title: Re: Frame renovation.
Post by: Tom on July 04, 2014, 03:13:39 PM
My only advice is don't give it to Simon('s Cycles)He has been'renovating' a frame of mine for 5 years plus
Title: Re: Frame renovation.
Post by: Chris Tasker on July 04, 2014, 07:52:57 PM
You coulf take it to Argos Ron but be prepared to pay a fair old sum if you want any chrome work done.

They did my old Ephgrave which looks lovely but cost more than I'd ever tell Louise!

Chris
Title: Re: Frame renovation.
Post by: stevelandeg on July 05, 2014, 03:13:58 PM
There's Brynol in Pyle who do electoplating.
I approached them a couple of years ago about sticking some bike components in to make up a run and they couldn't have been more unhelpful. Perhaps you can have better luck with the customer interface.

However, although I haven't tried them I have heard good feedback from Renowheel in Litchard/Brackla who are famous for their repairs on alloy car wheels. When I can be bothered, I'll be taking a chainset there to see what they can do.
Title: Re: Frame renovation.
Post by: traine on July 08, 2014, 10:34:12 AM
Ron

It has to be Argos. You will value it more if you have spent too much on it. It will also look great with the proper decals etc. Save up this summer and ask for the balance for Christmas from family, they would much rather you had the dosh than buy you socks again ! Pay extra for the extra colours too, remember, you're worth it.

Just make sure you use it when you have built it. I would be happy to do that retro Time Trial with you in 2015. I like a plan !

Tim
Title: Re: Frame renovation.
Post by: Lance on July 19, 2014, 07:56:14 PM
Steve Williams(Willis)specialises in finishing motorcycles and has sprayed two frames for me- my 1988 Raleigh 653 in Kawasaki lime green and my 1966 Carlton in British racing green metallic.They look great.I got all the decals from H.Lloyd.If you would like to see some photos or the bikes themselves then let me know.Steve is based on Llandow trading estate near Cowbridge - tell him I told you to call him his number is - 01446 796076.