My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on June 11, 2014, 09:07:11 PM

Title: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June 8AM START TOMORROW
Post by: Andy H on June 11, 2014, 09:07:11 PM
I'm not around for the coming Sunday 15th June but planning a ride out to the Gower on Sunday 22nd June for anybody not entering the '25' on that day.

Probably be a 100 miler or thereabouts and maybe  make it an earlier start so not back too late.

Can recommend the ice-cream parlor on the pier at Mumbles for a cafe stop!!

Will post a route next week, suitable for Amblers fancying bit more of a challenge .
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Steven on June 12, 2014, 11:27:54 AM
I'm around and up for a ride in what looks like good conditions. I was planning to ride the '100'  but after the '50' I realise I've not done enough rides over 2 hrs. That, and the fact that it's England on the telly until the early hours and the Pet Shop Boys in concert on Sunday night.  A man of my advancing years needs to take it easy....
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 12, 2014, 12:33:31 PM
Come on Steven, I am assuming we don't need to pedal nearly as hard for the 100 as for a 50!
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Steven on June 12, 2014, 03:18:34 PM
I work on 100% for a '10', 95% for a '25' and 90% for a '50'. What do you think for a '100'?
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 12, 2014, 03:51:21 PM
I was thinking endurance pace, about 80-85% of effort I would put into a 10, as measured by HR.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy W on June 12, 2014, 05:08:10 PM
Hello!! Long time!!

Is there an amblers ride, Sunday? Anyone riding early? (Fathers day)
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: xrayspecs on June 12, 2014, 05:31:38 PM
Andy I've missed you attacking EVERY incline on club rides..Welcome back.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy W on June 12, 2014, 05:46:57 PM
Hahaha...

Chris, there will be no attacking! I'm even less of a climber then i was back then!
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: RichardB on June 12, 2014, 08:46:44 PM
Andy W there should be an ambers run on Sunday, I'll be out Sunday.
Andy H, I'm up for the 22nd as long as there as some other amblers for company. Looking forward to Cefn Bryn.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Jason T on June 13, 2014, 07:13:41 AM
I doubt I'll be out this Sunday but a ride out to the Gower on the 22nd sounds good.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy W on June 14, 2014, 07:56:58 PM
Where you guys riding tomorrow?

Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Terry A on June 14, 2014, 08:21:58 PM
Andy, I'm up for this.

Richard - hopefully some other amblers but at least us two so far
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy W on June 14, 2014, 08:44:06 PM
I'm thinking of going up the Bwlch. Been an age since I was last up there. Weather's good for it
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy W on June 14, 2014, 08:46:44 PM
Plus, I need to burn off the late night football/booze!
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: RichardB on June 14, 2014, 08:54:22 PM
What football is on?
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 14, 2014, 09:14:23 PM
Wales v Brazil (World Cup final)
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: RichardB on June 14, 2014, 11:15:41 PM
Hey wouldn't that be something!!
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: ron b on June 15, 2014, 06:51:10 AM
Can't agree with you there Rob, you have been spending too much time thinking of roof racks?
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy W on June 15, 2014, 12:49:52 PM
Ran late this morning, so couldn't make it to the club run. Would of suffered anyway
Decided to go up the Bwlch in the end. Not a bad ride, considering where I am at the moment.

Happy fathers to all!!
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Steven on June 15, 2014, 01:23:52 PM

Good to see over 20 people at 0900 today.

Pacers were Chris G, Mark R and newbie Paul.  Port Talbot, Neath Valley, climbed the bank on the old road, Aberdare for coffee, Ponty and back.

72miles at an average of 19.3 mph.  I have never averaged over 19mph above 70 miles before !
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: wardhaugh on June 15, 2014, 04:19:55 PM
Had hoped to ride with you guys today, but had a lie in. Didn't quite manage the same average speed when I did get out. Saw Chris G at Talygarn Quarry who betrayed no signs of the 110km in his legs. Hope to see some of you next week to see if I can hold your wheels.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy H on June 17, 2014, 07:40:59 PM
Anybody for a ride out to the Gower this Sunday 22nd?

Sensible pace, no big mountains, stop for a coffee in Mumbles or marina. Advance forecast looking good. Following route is 90 miles, so around 6 hours.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/6902382#

Would an 8 o'clock start suit people so not too late back in Bridgend?

Post your intentions/preferences and see you Sunday.

Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andrew S on June 17, 2014, 09:13:17 PM
Only got my phone Andy so can't see the fine details of the route, is it a clockwise or anticlockwise loop around the Gower?
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: RichardB on June 17, 2014, 10:08:25 PM
Anticlockwise and just over 60 miles to the cafe stop.

I'm still up for this Andy as long as there are a few more amblers interested too.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Jason T on June 18, 2014, 01:56:16 PM
Route looks good but not taking in Worms Heads I see, perhaps it will be too busy what with the weather mind you, 08:00 start is Ok but 09:00 is even better.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 18, 2014, 02:10:43 PM
You wanna get around the Gower early as you can and away... those are dangerous roads when the sun is shining. Through Swansea and round the Gower...is there anywhere worse for a cyclist to go on a warm summers day? And why am I so rude, that was straight off the cuff sorry! The irony is I'll be on the A465 dual carriageway! Why not go somewhere nice and remote in carmarthenshire or monmouthshire and avoid the rat race to beach...
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy H on June 18, 2014, 04:43:53 PM
Not rude, just plain speaking!

Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Neil Bartlett on June 18, 2014, 11:12:46 PM
I will be up for this Andy! Another Ambler, Richard :)
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Davey C on June 19, 2014, 11:29:18 AM
You wanna get around the Gower early as you can and away... those are dangerous roads when the sun is shining. Through Swansea and round the Gower...is there anywhere worse for a cyclist to go on a warm summers day? And why am I so rude, that was straight off the cuff sorry! The irony is I'll be on the A465 dual carriageway! Why not go somewhere nice and remote in carmarthenshire or monmouthshire and avoid the rat race to beach...

Agreed. Not a fan of the Swansea/Gower area on a bike except in the depths of winter.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 19, 2014, 12:41:40 PM
Its always a popular one for OVW mind, though more often than not gets cut short. I'd like to do more cycling in the Gower but its flawed by how long it takes to ride over there, and the amount of traffic and bad driving by the time I can. Plus I don't enjoy riding along Fabian way or through Swansea, especially as the day progresses.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: harpo on June 19, 2014, 07:50:34 PM
I'm hoping to make it!
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 15th and 22nd June
Post by: Andy H on June 20, 2014, 04:40:58 PM
Are we agreed on an 8am start?
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June
Post by: Jason T on June 20, 2014, 05:43:27 PM
8am is fine by me.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June
Post by: wardhaugh on June 20, 2014, 10:08:40 PM
I hope to join you - 8am start ideal.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June 8AM START TOMORROW
Post by: Andy H on June 21, 2014, 11:10:40 AM
8am start tomorrow, lets see if we can get to the Gower before the "madding crowds". Possibly drop the loop up towards Alltwen and Pontardawe to get on the Gower sooner. This would knock off about 10 miles. Chat about it in the morning.

See you at Brackla.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June 8AM START TOMORROW
Post by: RichardB on June 21, 2014, 09:16:49 PM
I won't be able to make this now.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June 8AM START TOMORROW
Post by: Andy H on June 22, 2014, 03:11:07 PM
Nine out for the Pacers mini-epic around the Gower.

A well chosen route (lol) on the less busy roads and a charity cycle ride for British Heart Foundation, meant the only hold ups today were for 'said' charity riders, ponies and cows on the common. Oh add in a brief stop for Neil, who lost a brake pad off his recently serviced bike! Luckily sorted by mobile mechanic supporting charity ride.

Riders our were Allan, Jason, Paul, Mark R., Neil, Jonathan, Steve C, Haydn and myself. Set out via Laleston and Roger's Lane to Port Talbot, Neath, Skewen and Morriston for first little climb of the day, where the natural selection occurred i.e. me and a couple of others were spat out the back. Minor detour between Gorseinon and Gowerton where we did our best to lose Allan before hitting the North Gower road toward Penclawdd. Started to see a lot of charity riders but not much other traffic, headed on to Reynoldston and climb to the top of the Gower,  before back tracking to Kittle then the Mumbles for a well deserved ice-cream at Verdi's.

It was noted that Lemon sorbet ice-cream has the same effect on Allan, as a double espresso normally does. As he proceeded to tow us all along Fabian Way, at a good lick and pretty much all the way back to Brackla.

Great riding today guys, 81 miles for me @17.6mph and glorious sunshine.

I'm away next weekend, hope to see you at chaingang or next weeks club '10'
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June 8AM START TOMORROW
Post by: marknott on June 22, 2014, 03:42:36 PM
Hi Gents,

Sounds like a great ride, wish I was with you all!!!

I`m not working away after next week so would love to get some serious miles in on the coming Sundays.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Mark N.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June 8AM START TOMORROW
Post by: wardhaugh on June 22, 2014, 04:19:41 PM
Great ride today - perfect weather, great company and a good pace. Gower roads not as bad as trailed apart from the hundreds of cyclists - made us look very fast though. Worth it for the fantastic view from the top of Cefn Bryn - a favourite for me from my days of living in Reynoldston. I remember when Beth and I lived there, we would only venture out on foot at weekends - but with Cefn Bryn literally on our doorstep, Three Cliffs within an easy walk, and the King Arthur 100 yards along the road it was no hardship.

Thanks to all who rode - we made a pretty smooth peleton I thought.

I'm popping out now to stock up on lemon sorbet.
Title: Re: Pacers rides Sunday 22nd June 8AM START TOMORROW
Post by: Neil Bartlett on June 22, 2014, 04:36:24 PM
Picked a good day to be with the 'Pacers' eventful for sure, enjoyed Allan's adrenaline ride coming home! many thanks to Andy and Mark making sure no amblers strayed too far off the back of the Peloton. Cheers!