My Community
General Category => Time Trials => Topic started by: Terry A on January 31, 2019, 02:18:52 PM
-
Hi all,
As most are aware, I will be coordinating the club efforts for this years Carl Roach 25m TT. The event had always been fantastically well supported by our club members and there is little point in changing a winning formula - so this year will effectively be a mirror of last year.
So - that well-worn phrase ... call for volunteers please.
We have various names in slots as follows :
Catering - Allan, Mary, Tina, Louise
Results board and presentation – Steven Madeley
Time keepers – Robin Field & Fran / Norman James & Steve L / Tudor Thomas
Lead Marshal – Andy Harries (total course – will want a couple of Lieutenants)
Large scale sheets - rider / results - Steve L
Verify riders presence at turn & approx time - Tony M
Start area club rep (as per Police form) - Haydn Lewis (yes, I know LOL)
So, the other 'main jobs' looking for owners
Headquarters - Hirwaun Community Centre
Signing on and numbers at HQ
Signing the course
Marshalling (the more the merrier)
Pushers (a few, as there is provision for 240 riders)
Signing off after the ride
There is always something else to do, so if you can be at the HQ to assist with riders’ questions or be able to cover, that would also be appreciated. If you are unsure of what is required, there are plenty of experienced members who can point you in the right direction and answer questions.
I no longer have a key to the lock-up so either need to get one or someone with a key needs to go and verify the signs etc. We had the correct number for the 'usual' signs last year so I'm assuming we will be okay ... but better not assume. There is one probable addition - signs from HQ to the start. It shouldn't really be necessary, but we did have one or two issues in 2018 and so need to avoid a repeat of that (and other clubs are doing it)
Ogmore Valley Wheelers always puts on a fantastic, well supported event, so this year should be no different. The more people who can volunteer and commit to the date, the better.
15. Club and Open Events
......................"To ensure the safe running of OVW Open events, the Event Secretary will reserve the right to withdraw any OVW rider to provide extra marshalling cover. In these instances, the club will reimburse the withdrawn rider/riders with their entry fees.
Not withstanding any CTT or BC regulations, the event secretary’s decision on all matters appertaining to the event will be final.
And yes, this is largely a copy of the last 2 year's postings - which themselves were unashamedly copied from Teresa's note from 2016 :-)
Please shout out if I have missed anything obvious (or not ::))
Many thanks.
-
I will sign and marshal the Resolven roundabout and the turn, 5 assistants would be nice. Alan has the key to the lockup, the green key is the container key, got fed up trying all fifty two before getting the right one. I will be nagging for help, get those excuses ready.
-
Happy to push off and or marshal. Have done 1st marshal last couple of years but willing to whats needed.
-
Happy to help wherever. Done the marshalling the last few times
-
Happy to marshal top of course again.
-
Happy to Marshall the turn as usual.
-
Terry, I’m available. As we discussed happy to do the same as last year, or if you need me for anything else.
-
Not sure I'll be riding this year so, put me down for marshalling or related job, Terry
-
Okay, situation at the moment :-
Many thanks to those who have come forward to help. However, as of right now, it does feel as though we are coming up a little light on volunteers to ensure the usual super-smooth OVW event.
This is what we have :-
Catering - Allan, Mary, Tina, Louise
Results board and presentation – Steven Madeley
Time keepers – Robin Field & Fran / Norman James & Steve L / Tudor Thomas
Lead Marshal – Andy Harries (total course – will want a couple of Lieutenants)
- Ron B, offering to take control of the Resolven/turn roundabout
- Greg B ; Richard B ; Roy H ; Dave W ; Steve Curry ; Mark B
Large scale sheets - rider / results - Steve L
Verify riders presence at turn & approx time - Tony M/ANOther
Start area club rep (as per Police form) - Haydn Lewis
Pushing off - Haydn ; Nigel ; ANOther ?
First big/vital job needing an owner is clubhouse signing in/out.
Second important job is relaying the riders finish times to HQ - Tony M/ANOther. We need a better scheme than relying on mobile phone as the signal is patchy - we have a cunning plan :-)
So, all those who have not yet come forward and offered to help - please check your availability and come join the fun.
Andy ... we have done a sign count and have the following :-
4 x very large Cycle Event signs
10 x large Cycle Event signs
6 x large HQ signs (no arrows)
3 x wooden A board, some signs cable tied to them
26 x yellow/black arrow signs (CTT course direction type)
19 x smaller yellow/black plain arrow signs
13 x larger (40x30cm) yellow/black plaiin arrow signs
20 x large (40x30cm) yellow/red arrows ... thinking maybe to use these for directions from HQ to start
12 x OVW signs (25x25cm)
a few other L or R or no arrow small signs
Ron - last year you came up trumps with jumbo sized cable ties. Do you still have a supply or do we need to buy some ? I will get some more of the usual sized ties that are re-usable.
On the catering front, our experience has shown a preference for cakes over sandwiches. Can those who kindly volunteer to provide cakes please add to this thread - this will allow Mary & Allan to judge how much other food we need to buy.
Please shout out if you think I've missed anything.
Thanks everyone.
-
Terry, I have plenty of cable ties and hopefully supply a Carrot cake, I will speak to you about picking up the signs soon. I need a few more to help Roy 1 and myself.
-
I will bring some cakes with me
-
Terry, I'll do the signs to and from HQ as part of signing the top part of the course.
-
I still have a very large cycling event sign that was left last year, I'll bring it with me.
-
As discussed I am available
-
Could I have some names please to Marshal the “Turn”. Roy and myself will sign the lower part of the course, we just need a few extra hands from 8 30 on. Not a lot of training needed, just the ability to point left.
-
I'll give everybody a gentle reminder on Sunday morning.
At least one person from those who have volunteered so far, we be available.
-
I can do any marshalling post - Andy/Ron - will you assign positions/roles on the day or beforehand?
-
Generally tend to see who turns up on the day but do you want to commit to joining Ron on the 'turn' roundabout? That will mean one less post to think about.
If there are enough bodies on the day, I can send another person down.
-
I think, judging by the output of my annual chest cold, that I am also already 'on the turn' so happy to join Ron in that task. We're all crying out for someone to point a way forward therefore, I'll be more than happy to do that on the Resolven roundabout (Br)exit on Sunday - I suspect a majority of riders will vote for that - hoping that they all Remain on course.
-
Steve
You are wasted on this forum. Get yourself down to Westminster tout de suite!
-
All new Marshall’s please be at Aberdulais turn by 8 15. More the merrier.
-
Current status :-
These are the folks who have stepped up and offered to help :-
Nigel
Greg
Richard B
Richard L
Mark B
Harpo
Roy H
Steve C
Ron B
Tony M
(This list excludes the 'usual' roles of Andy, Mary , Allan, Steven)
Harpo is pushing off but sensibly needs 1 other. This year, we also want to relay back to HQ any late starts / time penalties .. hence it needs 2 bodies there.
We also need to have the results relayed back to HQ as the finishing times are recorded. This has usually been Steve L but this year Tony M will take this task. There is usually a bit of an issue with the signal quality when phoning the results in and hence we will try something different this year. This in turn (haha) means we need someone (Tony M did this previously) to record the riders at the turn - and record an approximate time. It's not too bad a task - I can go through it with whoever volunteers.
I will be collecting all the signs and direction arrows etc on Friday and will bring them to Coity on Friday evening. Andy/Ron - the signs can be shared out as necessary ... OR ... Ron - in the past you have collected your signs for the turn roundabout yourself - are you planning to do that this year. Just let Andy know either way.
For info, attached is the start front cover sheet with the event details. As the field is smaller, you will see the start is a little later (first rider off at 09:39) - could be a boon if it's still as cold come Sunday.
If there are any club memebers who have not yet raised their hands to help and want to come join in the fun then please let us know. There is always something else to do and it will be a massive help.
Okay, probably something I've forgotten - sing out if you think of anything.
Thanks,
Terry
-
As a newcomer, while my membership of OVW has yet to be confirmed I would have volunteered to help, if I'd been available - as it is, a prior commitment to a family event takes precedence. Looks like a couple of my old clubmates, Matt and Lee from Banbury Star are down to ride so good luck to them, and best wishes to all for a successful event.
Cheers,
Geoff
-
Given the later start time what time do you need us all at HQ?
-
I can meet you at the lockup on Friday, what time?
-
Aberdulais Marshall’s, due to the first rider leaving at 9 40, we don’t to be at the turn till 10 o’clock. Roy and I will sign the course, I will be at the roundabout at 8 30. Remember to bring a drink and snack and keep practicing pointing with your left arm?
-
Unless marshaling at Aberdulais roundabout with Ron,can you meet at Hirwaun Village hall 8:45. Time for a cup of tea and decisions over marshaling positions.
Need one to volunteer to push off/report non starters with Haydn and one to take rider times at the turn.
So if somebody fancies doing a job other than pointing directions, please 'come forward' now!
-
Happy to push/pull or point - let me know
-
Steve, Will you do the timing/recording at the turn?, I'll volunteer Rich Bowmer to come with you, so you can share marshaling and recording duties.
OK with that Rich?
You'll need to meet at Hirwaun first to get a copy of start sheet and instructions off Terry/Tony M
-
Ron ; for tomorrow - I can be at the lockup by 9.00 ish or it will need to be 12.30 or anytime later (as I have to run my Dad to the doc's). What works best for you ? The signs are all sorted and so it should be easy to get what you need. If we can do 9.00 (school traffic permitting) then as long as I'm away by 10.15 or so that works well for me.
Andy, I will collect all the remaining signs and bring to club in the evening.
Andy, will talk tomorrow about meeting to sign the top half of the course; we have usually met at 6.00 but it a bit of a rush to get it all done with just 2 of us. A. N Other would be a big help here.
-
See you at 9
-
Andy - no problem - see you at HQ - 08:45 - Sunday
-
Steve, Will you do the timing/recording at the turn?, I'll volunteer Rich Bowmer to come with you, so you can share marshaling and recording duties.
OK with that Rich?
You'll need to meet at Hirwaun first to get a copy of start sheet and instructions off Terry/Tony M
Yes, I'm good with this. See you Sunday morning.
-
Nigel, can I drop off a couple of cakes 🍰 for Mission Control, I can drop them this evening, what number house?
-
Plan F, cakes will not be ready for transporting this evening, so can someone stop at Aberdulais roundabout from 8 30 tomorrow to pick up the “iced” cakes, if not, me, Tony and Roy will eat them.
-
I will do this important job!
-
I see we have young Backstedt off 4th, is he the first TdF stage winner and Paris Robaix winner to take part in a Oggie event, lots of riders who haven’t I suppose, but none come to mind. He past me once on the Llanharan road and I thought I was doing well.
-
Terry., change of plans means I can now assist. See you in the morning ;)
-
All the very best for the event tomorrow.
Looks like the weather is going to behave for you.
-
Well - another Carl Roach and another excellent event.
A massive thanks to all those who stepped up and gave their time to make yesterday a complete success. It's been said before but I will say it again - without you guys 'n' girls there is no event.
A bit cold especially early on and I know the marshalls in particular were ready for some coffee and cake when finally back in HQ - you earned it !! Despite the chilly start and the easterly breeze there were some excellent performances and the riders were very positive about the event.
Attached for your info are the result files.
Thanks again to you all.
-
Good organisation, signage, marshalling and of course cake!
Good ride as well from Neil Poulton, representing the OVW.
-
What a superb event.
The Curse of Carl's secret powers are usless against an OVW team effort.
Well done everyone.