My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Paul Longthorn on March 01, 2014, 06:51:35 AM

Title: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Paul Longthorn on March 01, 2014, 06:51:35 AM
I thought I would start a new thread as the other one was getting a little congested.

RR3 is 9th March 2014 and a good chance to get 100km in before Mallorca.

100 km in 4 hours + or - 10 mins Average Speed needed 15.5 MPH
100 km in 3.5 Hours + or - 10 mins Avereage speed needed 17.7MPH

As before please be there 15 mins before start time to sign on.

4 Hours will set off from Brackla 8:30 am
3.5 Hours will set off from Brackla 9:00 am

Many thanks to Andy Harris for planning and re planning the route. The finish as you'll notice the in the centre of Cowbridge. So the finish will be Costa Coffee.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5322488
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: sianharris50 on March 01, 2014, 07:40:02 PM
I'm interested in doing this ride but unsure of the route and would prefer to ride with someone, I appreciate that I'm not fast enough for you guys but is there anyone I can tag along with, Ron is on hols, I think he's back on Thursday so not sure whether he will be doing the ride. Thanks.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Tom on March 01, 2014, 11:02:27 PM
Hi Sian-if Ron's not back I'll make sure you're not alone!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Rob Jones on March 02, 2014, 04:09:36 PM
I took a recent picture of the cafe stop, in case anyone has not yet had the pleasure to visit.  ;D



[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Andy H on March 02, 2014, 05:08:02 PM
It's only the finish, they don't have to drink the coffee!  ;D
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Rob Jones on March 02, 2014, 05:28:14 PM
I took a picture cos I've never seen less than 3 stars before...even on the scummiest filthiest greasy spoons! I wondered if Costa were going for a gap in the market left by Norman's (that's a joke btw, I've no idea what their hygiene standards were like)!

In fairness Costa actually scored "very good" for "structural compliance" and "good" for "confidence in management".  They only scored "poor" for the less important criteria of "food hygiene and safety"  :o

I vote the first one back should have to eat the biggest creamiest cake they have on display  :D
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Chris Tasker on March 02, 2014, 08:38:23 PM
Go to Cafe Nero in Waitrose car park, much nicer coffee!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Rob Jones on March 02, 2014, 08:52:27 PM
Good suggestion Chris. 5 star hygiene rating (like most places) and very popular with cyclists too!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Tom on March 02, 2014, 09:09:30 PM
And free if you have a Waitrose card?
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: sianharris50 on March 02, 2014, 09:22:06 PM
Hi Tom thanks from that, I appreciate it.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Rob Jones on March 02, 2014, 09:35:06 PM
I have a Waitrose card (their coffee is surprisingly average though) - Do they accept them in cafe Nero Tom? That's aggressive retailing!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: ron b on March 07, 2014, 04:07:38 PM
I am back from winter training, with tanned legs, will be out on Sunday. Sian will pick you up at 7 45, don't forget your snacks and drink
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Tom on March 07, 2014, 10:25:32 PM
I have tried to open the link to the route but it won't work for me.The Garmin page opens but no map appears.Can anyone post another or a quick summary of the route?Don't worry if not,I'll work it out on the day I'm sure!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Andy H on March 07, 2014, 11:43:12 PM
That has happened when I've tried it but then worked when retried.

Summary of route:- Brackla Way, Church Acre heading toward Coity, to 2nd r'about backtrack  to Coychurch, Pencoed, Heol y Cyw common,  Sarn, Cefn Cribbwr, Kenfig Hill, Margam, Water St, Kenfig, Porthcawl seafront, A48, Ewenny Rd, Ogmore, St Bride's, Marcross, Llantwit major, around RAF St Athan, left off B4265 to LLancadle, join A48 to Cowdridge down Primrose Hill
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Jason T on March 08, 2014, 07:56:57 AM
If Garmin Connect is playing up then you could try the following link as I've tried to recreate the route in Strava;

http://www.strava.com/routes/200580

I've also exported the GPX File which should be attached to this post, this file can be loaded into GPS Devices or in to the following site as an alternative to Garmin & Strava for those who cannot see the Garmin Map;

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: ron b on March 08, 2014, 10:13:07 AM
Not wanting to lose anyone on the RR3 can we put the map on Google Map, also what is the name of the street in Nottage where we turn right through the 10 Acre estate? I cannot blow up the Strava map for close detail
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Tom on March 08, 2014, 10:26:51 AM
Thanks Andy and Jason-that link works for me so I've got no excuse when I inevitably go off course!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: RichardB on March 08, 2014, 10:27:24 AM
West Park Drive Ron
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Andy H on March 08, 2014, 11:01:59 AM
Thanks Jason, all we need now is someone with an OS map and people have no excuse for getting lost.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Jason T on March 08, 2014, 11:03:10 AM
Using the Strava link, you should be able to click Terrain Map at the top right of the map, this should allow you to change the view to Satellite Map.

Satellite Map will then allow you to zoom right down to street level.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Jason T on March 08, 2014, 11:11:39 AM
Here you go, upload the GPX File to the second option on the following page which will give the RR3 route on an OS Map  ;D

http://www.osola.org.uk/rides/gpsuploader.htm

The weather looks very good for Sunday.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Andy H on March 08, 2014, 11:36:46 AM
Jason, did you know that most of the Pacers are doing the 10 TT in the morning?

Might be worth posting on here to see if anyone fancies the fast option, its a tough ride on your own!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Jason T on March 08, 2014, 11:58:02 AM
I did notice a fair few pacer names in the TT thread (and good luck to those taking part).

I may actually go for the 4 Hour RR3 and see if I can turn it in to a century ride if the weather will be good, unless my legs give out at Cowbridge.... it would be nice to spend a fair few hours in the sun tomorrow.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: ron b on March 08, 2014, 01:08:16 PM
Jason , thanks for the "OS" link, hours of fun there. 4 hours for me and Sian
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: RichardB on March 08, 2014, 03:12:10 PM
Jas, talking to others last night I think all the ambers will be out for the 8-30 start. I'm sure some will intend getting in well inside the 4 hour target.
Cheers
Richard
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Chris Reed on March 08, 2014, 05:57:46 PM
Hi Jason - I'll be pushing on for another 30 or so after - unless I trash my legs.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Jason T on March 08, 2014, 07:25:34 PM
Good Stuff ~ Hopefully we'll be able to sort something out tomorrow.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Paul Longthorn on March 08, 2014, 09:37:54 PM
Thanks Jason for re posting the route and Andy for the Summary of the route.

See you all tomorrow weather looks great
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Teresa on March 09, 2014, 09:43:19 AM
15 starters on this beautiful sunny morning.  A couple of pictures on the website
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Teresa on March 09, 2014, 02:06:17 PM
Provisional results

5 Qualifiers
2 DNF - One being Mark Pope with puncture troubles (although he did still make it to the Cafe in the car)
8 Non qualifiers for various reasons - Helping with punctures, going to the wrong cafe, and those who were just plain naughty and not playing the game (you can decide for yourselves who is who) ;)
Well done all

Reports for the website would be welcome - as long as they are printable  :-[
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Tom on March 09, 2014, 02:19:09 PM
I didn't see Paul at the finish(I expect he was sitting patiently in Café Nero,wondering where everyone was)but I wanted to thank him Andy &Teresa(plus anyone else involved)for organising the best RR series I can remember.It's a pretty thankless task being on any Committee and I think it's important we recognise the effort involved in devising&measuring the courses,fixing the dates and timekeepers etc.And of course organising the best weather for many a year!Well done all.
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Jason T on March 09, 2014, 02:31:02 PM
Yes... Thank you for time keeping today Teresa, it was a nice day for it.

Looking on Strava it appears most people got in a fair few miles today, might be a few tired legs in the morning  :)
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Chris Reed on March 09, 2014, 08:19:06 PM
Thanks All - cracking day!
Title: Re: Reliability Ride III
Post by: Paul Longthorn on March 10, 2014, 06:12:30 AM
Yes great turnout on a nice sunny day. I stopped to help Mark Pope with a puncture , twice and lost about 30 mins. I took a few short cuts to try and get ahead of the group. But didn't catch anyone. Still got 71 miles in before Mallorca. Thank you Teresa for time keeping.