My Community
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: ron b on August 12, 2018, 12:18:04 PM
-
Had a puncture today while warming up, bit of a walk till I was picked and delivered back to HQ. I use Tubs on my TT bike, supposed to save an hour over a 25 TT. Question is has anyone tried a “sealant” to mend a puncture? Any info would be welcome.
-
For Tubs I would suggest Effetto Mariposa Espresso for an emergency solution;
https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/espresso/
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/pumps/effeto-expresso-co2-puncture-repair-kit_315563
And for Tubeless I would recommend Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex or Orange Endurance as they seem to seal at higher pressures compared to other brands;
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/tubeless-bits-and-bobs/products/effetto-caffelatex-sealant-60ml-250ml-and-1000ml
https://www.evanscycles.com/orange-seal-endurance-sealant-with-injection-system-EV333748
The Effetto Mariposa Vitamina CL sealant additive looks good but I've yet to try it although installation looks to be a bit of a pain;
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/tubeless-bits-and-bobs/products/effetto-mariposa-vitamina-cl-sealent-addtive
You could put sealant in your tubs however;
1. It will harden latex tubes over time
2. It needs to be replenished every couple of months
-
Thanks Jason, I am looking for a permanent fix and because it’s a rear wheel capable of holding a high pressure. The wheels are not used too often so is it worth the money or buy a new Tub?
-
A 60ml pack for under £5 might be worth a shot but it depends on how big the cut is;
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/effetto-caffelatex-tubeless-fluid/rp-prod150131
If you do go for it only inflate to a low pressure, maybe 40psi or so as it might give it a better chance at sealing - If it's held overnight then inflate to a higher pressure.
Once you've injected the solution make sure that the puncture is at the bottom of the wheel, as it sits/stands on the floor, this will allow the sealant to head straight for the hole.
-
Just used “Stans” the jury’s out!
-
I never had much luck with Stans sealing at higher pressure, I think it's more suited to lower/mtb pressures but hopefully it will work for you.
-
How's the tyre looking Ron?
-
I use stans on the TT bike. On a club 10 I heard the sound of a puncture (big hiss) 3 times but tyre looked OK so carried on. At the end of the TT was talking to the others and mentioned it but could not see any evidence of a puncture. It was only when i noticed the hairs on my leg were matted from the knee down and closer inspection of the front tyre it was obvious i had had a front puncture. Changed the tub and and all good. So stans did work for me as i finished the race,I have Tuffo tyres and they run at 175PSI
-
It’s still holding 100, didn’t use it yesterday, I will put it on my hack bike and ride around locally. I will increase the pressure after that. Thanks for all the info, in the olden days I would have undone the stitching and repaired the tube and stitched it back up again, they were never as new though. I will probably replace it for next year.