My Community

General Category => Coaching & Training => Topic started by: Rob Jones on February 07, 2014, 09:45:15 PM

Title: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: Rob Jones on February 07, 2014, 09:45:15 PM
For me the 1st and penultimate for shorter intervals (eg 5 x 5 min). prob the 1st cos its a bit of a shock. Then the penultimate cos it gets harder each interval. The last is never quite so bad...just because I know I don't have to start another!

For 2 x 20s they are both equally horrid. I have to break em down as if I am gonna stop at the next milestone. Then once there work towards the next milestone. If I get past 10 mins I tend to complete the interval.
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: ron b on February 08, 2014, 11:44:06 AM
For me they are all equally orible, strength training today, slightly lower cadence but the old ticker still at 90% in a high gear. Tuesday will be a higher cadence, with no interval, just warm up and keep going. Don't forget to drink, in the aero position and a recovery drink after. Music is the thing that eases the boredom, plus last years results on a board on the wall.
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: Chris Tasker on February 08, 2014, 04:43:13 PM
All intervals should be uncomfortable surely (apart from the rest interval of course!), either in terms of intensity or duration. The last one should be the most challenging if the rider is fully warmed and ready for the effort I guess?
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: Rob Jones on February 08, 2014, 04:58:49 PM
Its the psychology though Chris  :'(
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: xrayspecs on February 08, 2014, 06:36:28 PM
2 x 20 minute at 20 minute max pace or 4 x 10 at 20 minute max pace + 1mph. I still think the latter one is impossible. The shorter ones are mentally easier. Nothing worse than checking your watch and you've only done ten minutes of it….
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: Rob Jones on February 08, 2014, 06:49:15 PM
So TRUE Chris - I started out today with intention to do 5x5 min. Started 1st interval a bit hard and when I got to 3 mins decided to do 6x3 min intervals instead. I need to find a decent radio station. Radio 1 is ok when Zane is on but otherwise very patchy. Good music really does help. Talk radio, no matter how interesting don't.
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: Shawn on February 08, 2014, 07:27:41 PM
Rob if you are on digital try absolute radio 90s.

This lunchtime I enjoyed, Nirvana, Smiths, Metallica, Stereophonics, Manics without too many adverts

On the flip side if you catch it at the wrong time, you get bombarded with 90s pop which is never a good place to be
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: Chris Tasker on February 09, 2014, 08:25:37 AM
Its the psychology though Chris  :'(

Try sticking a bit of tape on your bars or stem with a motivational phrase on it then? lots of pros do it!

"what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger"
"Zip up your man suit"
"Suck it up"
There are endless clichés out there, pick you own!
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: Andy H on February 09, 2014, 12:21:24 PM
I find giving yourself 'a damn good talking to' , helps.
Title: Re: which interval is the hardest on the indoor trainer?
Post by: ron b on February 09, 2014, 02:04:12 PM
My Mother has a stick, works for me, 90's music, over to you Tom?