My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Ben on December 29, 2017, 10:51:49 AM

Title: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Ben on December 29, 2017, 10:51:49 AM
I will be out this weekend. Weather is looking a little hit and miss. But as I need to be doing about 50 miles myself (there's a 20 mile commute to and from Brackla for me) I'd like to keep it away from Llantwit. I'll have a think of a route ready and try and post it later.
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Ben on December 29, 2017, 11:03:19 AM
Here we go. Staying mainly to bigger roads. Should be a nice enough route.
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Ben on December 29, 2017, 04:03:10 PM
Coffee at Costa in Cowbridge? Unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Ade on December 29, 2017, 04:04:27 PM
Looks good to me. Coffee stop in Cowbridge? You beat me to it.
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Jo on December 29, 2017, 04:15:30 PM
I'm hoping to be out. I've just about recovered from the ride when there was only one chaser and one pacer and slow me😂
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Ben on December 30, 2017, 10:51:43 AM
Quite windy tomorrow. Coming from Swansea way so maybe a tootle to Porthcawl and back. At least we have a tail wind on way back.
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Carrie H on December 30, 2017, 03:46:15 PM
Hi Ben I'm not out tomorrow, (getting a haircut)!
Just looked at your route and the bit just north of cowbridge (34-36) has you going through Penlline Estate farm. I don't think this is public right of way and the gate it often shut & locked at the north end. Would be v muddy too.
Rest of route looks good.
Have fun!
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Tom on December 30, 2017, 06:05:48 PM
You're right Carrie but I often ride it and once when my Dad was riding it Colonel Homfray stopped,not to remonstrate with him but to offer him a lift! I think they close the gate at times simply to prevent a prescriptive right of way being claimed.Having said that it will be very muddy especially near the slurry pits-a good Summer shortcut though
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Ben on December 30, 2017, 06:10:02 PM
Based on weather I think going the other way maybe in order.
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: Ben on December 31, 2017, 04:02:43 PM
Five of us today. Myself, Mal, Ade, Jo and Sarah.
We decided to go towards Porthcawl for our coffee stop. So we followed the Chasers (albeit quite a way behind) they disappeared round the corner as we came off the roundabout in Brackla. Once past Coity we passed by the prison and down the S-bends (I must plan a route to ride up them). Then past Parc Slip and onto Margam. Then we followed the same route (as best we could) as the Cycling Weekly ride into Porthcawl. I left the group there as I needed to go to Kenfig Hill to collect a Nintendo 3DS - Which I was unable to as the person wasn't in. Then I went home via Laleston, Ewenny, Death Valley and Wick.

Was a good ride not as windy as forecast. Some good rides from everyone. Jo on her new bike which took a few miles to get used to. Ade sat at the front for most of the ride. I fell short of my 4000 miles for the year by 1/2 a mile!!! I blame Strava's calculations.
Title: Re: Amblers ride 31st December - NYE ride
Post by: mal jones on December 31, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
Sarah’s dad collected her from the Broomwagon as she wasn’t feeling too good - too much chocolate according to dad . Took the route up mt pleasant which Jo enjoyed and is improving all the time about 50 pr today and a few efforts on the hills from Ade on the way home