My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Paul Longthorn on January 27, 2014, 09:31:05 AM

Title: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on January 27, 2014, 09:31:05 AM
Hi all, we now have the dates and routes for the 2014 Reliability Rides.

RR1 50 16th Feb 2014
RR2 50 23rd Feb 2014
RR3 100 km 9th March

For those of you new to the club. The Reliability Rides are ran every year usually in the early spring. A series of three rides, two 50 mile rides and a 100 km ride. Free to enter for club members.

The idea is to choose a time you think you can ride the distance. There is a choice of 3.5 hours or 3 hours, for both 50 mile rides and 3.5 hours and 4 hours for the 100 km ride. This is without any watches, computers or clocks. If you want to record your ride this is understandable so you can tape your computer up. But under no circumstances can you look at the time.

The whole point is to see how reliable you are over the distance. Here is how you qualify.

50 in 3.5 hours + or - 10 mins Average speed needed 14.2 MPH
50 in 3 hours + or - 10 mins Average speed needed 16.6 MPH

100 km in 4 hours + or - 10 mins Average Speed needed 15.5 MPH
100 km in 3.5 Hours + or - 10 mins Avereage speed needed 17.7MPH

The first two rides are tried and tested routes so RR1 will be a around the Vale ending in Cowbridge at Hanna's Dinner. RR2 is over the Bwlch and ends in Ewenny. We have adapted RR3 following feedback and will posting shortly. Full route maps and start times to follow.

I'm happy to time and record all but if anyone would like to Volenteer that would be great as I could do with the miles before Mallorca.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on January 27, 2014, 09:43:40 AM
RR1 50 Miles 16th Feb 2014

This will start at Brackla same place as all club rides.

50 in 3.5 Hours 8:30am sign on 15mins before.
50 in 3 Hours 9am sign on 15 mins before.

RR1 Map
http://connect.garmin.com/course/5575977
RR2 Map
http://connect.garmin.com/course/5527980
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Teresa on January 27, 2014, 10:01:29 AM
I am free to be start and finish timekeeper for the 9th March.
Unfortunately, I am away for the other rides.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on January 27, 2014, 10:24:39 AM
Thanks Teresa that's great.  A Week before Mallorca and a chance to get 100 km in.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Andy H on January 27, 2014, 08:08:02 PM
Paul, I'll be travelling back from Manchester on Saturday night 22nd February, so happy to do time keeping duties on the Sunday, rather than riding the RR2.

Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on January 28, 2014, 03:10:38 PM
Thanks Andy. So I'll time RR1 Andy RR2 and Teresa RR3 Sorted Thanks Both.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Teresa on January 31, 2014, 04:50:45 PM
The lovely chap at Ewenny Cafe has put OVW in his diary for the 23rd - so hopefully you will get a comfy (ish) place to settle down after RR2.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on February 01, 2014, 06:09:05 AM
Thanks Teresa, will have a word with someone at Hanna's Dinner tomorrow, for the RR1
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: ron b on February 09, 2014, 01:23:23 PM
Who is doing the 3hrs 30mins next week, start will be 8 30 and allow time to sign on, no watches, computers just some cash to buy a cuppa.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Tom on February 09, 2014, 02:58:10 PM
Possibly join you Ron-am out the night before but if weather ok may try and start early in the hope of finishing early!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: ron b on February 09, 2014, 06:31:36 PM
Tom, are you still relying on that piece seaweed nailed to your outside loo door for your weather predictions. Sunny and 18 degrees was slightly out today, what are you forecasting for next Sunday. Good news I have put my mudguards back on.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: RichardB on February 12, 2014, 08:13:23 PM
I'll be doing RR1 3.5 hours. Weather looking good.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on February 14, 2014, 10:21:45 AM
Don't forget the sign on times are,

3.5 hours before 8:15 start at 8:30
3 hours before 8:45 Start at 9am

Weather looks ok for a change but you should get away with leaving any sun cream at home. I will bring tape if anyone needs computers or watches covering.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: ron b on February 15, 2014, 05:12:13 PM
quick note for those not used to this distance, you must eat and drink during the ride.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 15, 2014, 06:03:54 PM
NSS
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: RichardB on February 16, 2014, 07:25:48 AM
NSS?
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Teresa on February 16, 2014, 09:44:28 AM
Elementary ::)
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Steven on February 16, 2014, 12:46:20 PM
Or maybe even Not Starting Sunday, LOL !

Great morning on the bike today....
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: wardhaugh on February 16, 2014, 01:01:28 PM
Great ride today, Thanks to all my fellow DQ'd riders. Great conditions, and an average speed of 20.9mph according to my Garmin - with Mark Rosser and Jase Jones  dishing out the pain, and some very nicely timed turns on the front from Mr Madeley to help keep it smooth and controlled. That said, I did enjoy it when it kicked off at Nash Manor second time round. It feels like a long time since I've been on a fast ride, and I'd almost forgotten how good it feels to push it a bit and feel the legs burning at the end.

Thanks to all invovled in organising this, and especially to Paul L for timekeeping - next time I'll look very closely at the finish on the route map so I go to the correct cafe.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on February 16, 2014, 01:50:40 PM
Good turn out this morning 14 for the 3.5 hours and 11 for the 3 hours. One did not sign on. Not many qualified and a few DNF hope everyone got home ok.

I've ordered the same weather for next Sunday. Little lumpy next week same start time.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Jason T on February 16, 2014, 02:06:31 PM
Thanks for Time Keeping today Paul, we couldn't have asked for much better weather with the way it's been the past couple of weeks.

A good morning out... Thanks All.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Tom on February 16, 2014, 02:27:44 PM
Yes thanks Paul and to everyone else out today.Don't think I can remember a year when so many(all?)went so much too fast!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: marknott on February 16, 2014, 03:12:49 PM
Thanks Paul for giving up your time.

Also thanks to my fellow teammates who......."hammered me" !!!!

Really enjoyed the day and definitely learned a lot......especially "do not eat excessive amounts of mixed nuts 7 hours before you ride" BAD IDEA !!!

Cheers Guys !!!

Mark.N.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 16, 2014, 03:33:47 PM
Elementary ::)

Well done Teresa, you should give vocabulary lessons!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Neil Bartlett on February 16, 2014, 04:02:12 PM
Thanks for time keeping today Paul, what a difference good weather makes to a ride! thanks all for an enjoyable morning!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: RichardB on February 16, 2014, 04:20:50 PM
Yes thanks for time keeping Paul.
Great to see so many out today and great to have some decent weather for a change.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Richard Beech on February 17, 2014, 02:48:08 PM
Paul
 I did finish albeit I took 20 mins to get the  tyre seated properly after changing the puncture  then   I took a detour back to my house  in Fleminston to pump my tyre up and get a spare tube and then conducted a 40 mile indicvidual TT in the hope that there would be some stragglers-there werent
Does it count if you do 53 miles??
Only joking I was DNF ....
Richard
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Tony M on February 19, 2014, 08:08:19 PM
Can we swap for Saturday? The weather looks much better!  :-\
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 19, 2014, 09:55:25 PM
Reliability rides are far more fun in exceptional weather...how bad can it be up on the bwlch given a bit of wind and rain   ;)
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 19, 2014, 09:57:30 PM
BTW I have a theory that mudguards slow us down dramatically (through drag rather than weight penalty)
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: ron b on February 20, 2014, 08:59:27 AM
Weather looks bad for Sunday, going over the Bwllch in heavy rain and 24 mph winds (at sea level) not the best idea. Safety of all the riders is most important. Sian and myself will not be riding this week. Visibility could be very bad at that height and puncture or a breakdown would not be very pleasant.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Tony M on February 20, 2014, 03:37:39 PM
Asking as a newbie. Do these runs ever get postponed due to poor weather conditions? As Ron B pointed out Sunday has rain and high winds which could be a bit awkward if visibility is low high-up!  ???
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: ron b on February 20, 2014, 05:33:23 PM
It's up to the Club Captain to decide if the event is postponed or not. last year we had fantastic clear blue skies for the same ride. I went over the Bwllch in a car on Monday and visibility was very poor. The decision to ride is up to the individual.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 20, 2014, 05:48:00 PM
 it would normally be premature to make a decision based on what is still quite a long range forecast.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on February 21, 2014, 12:46:45 PM
I agree with Ron the weather could be a concern, but also think Rob makes a valid point it's still a couple of days left to see if the forecast is correct.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on February 22, 2014, 07:55:04 AM
Weather looks a little better for tomorrow, forecast from the BBC this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2654755
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: sianharris50 on February 22, 2014, 08:41:00 AM
I'm with Ron on ths one, weather not good for tomorrow I won't be going out :(
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Steven on February 22, 2014, 08:55:51 AM

I must be looking at the wrong ones because all I can see is little or no rain, mild and a tailwind up the Bwlch!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 22, 2014, 09:03:22 AM
Its forecast not fact people. Make your decisions when you rise and shine  8)

Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Tom on February 22, 2014, 10:17:46 AM
I've been studying the forecast all week-it's a bit confusing-the weather in Bridgend looks ok but try looking at the weather for Treorchy!Maybe we should stick to a circuit of Brackla!As Rob says lets have a look at it in the morning and keep our fingers crossed
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: RichardB on February 22, 2014, 11:14:13 AM
Forecast for Cymmer very poor too. I want to ride but will leave final decision until the morning.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Andy H on February 22, 2014, 01:08:19 PM
Accuweather no rain, 15 mph tailwind up Bwlch.

BBC weather online doesn't update after Friday
so ignore.

See you at 8.30 sign on

Ps I'll be the one sitting in the car in warm clothing.  ;D
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Terry A on February 22, 2014, 01:49:56 PM
Change the location to Blaengwynfi - and voila - this is what you get for Sunday as of right now on the BBC site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3345325 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3345325)

Change the location to Bridgend and it's another world; in fact, the difference is downright weird.

I'm a firm believer that the best forecast is to look out of the window ... and so that's what I'll do bright and early tomorrow




Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 22, 2014, 02:18:06 PM
Exactly right Terry. I have missed many rides (especially commutes) I could have enjoyed on the basis of incorrect forecasts. And I have been caught short on many rides due to incorrect forecasts. Fingers crossed!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: RichardB on February 22, 2014, 03:03:33 PM
Andy is it 8-15 sign in for an 8-30 start?
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 22, 2014, 07:10:08 PM
I was up on the Bwlch summit this avo (twice) - not an especially windy day but the the cross wind on the top (blowing from the south) was very dodgy. It wouldn't take much more wind to be unrideable/ dangerous. So just bear that in mind as well as whether its raining when you make your decision tomorrow. Not trying to put people off mind - unfortunately you never really know until your up there. And it would take some discipline to get up there and simply turn round and come back the way you went!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Tom on February 22, 2014, 07:54:27 PM
The Blaengwbfi forecast says updated 19.25-are they working overtime Andy?!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Andy H on February 22, 2014, 09:17:14 PM
Yes sign on in the morning is 8.15 for the 8.30 start.

Tom, i'm away in Manchester so using mobile phone, it must be the 'mobile' app/site . it definitely say updated Mon-Fri on it!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: wardhaugh on February 22, 2014, 10:26:13 PM
The weather forecast for me is 25 degrees, no wind, excessive humidity. Cardiff International Pool. Have a safe ride those who go out.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Jason T on February 23, 2014, 07:34:36 AM
With pains in my back and sniffing Vicks First Defence I think I'll have to pass on todays RR2... perhaps the rollers in a warm shed will be calling to me later.

Have a good ride to those heading out today.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Steven on February 23, 2014, 01:02:32 PM

Good ride today with gusty crosswinds at the summit as predicted. Everybody made it back intact. Disqualified on two counts today; 1) too fast. 2) Missed Llangeinor Hill for the second year in succession!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 23, 2014, 01:47:38 PM
Well done Steven. Me disqualified on just 1 count - using my Garmin from start to finish!

Thank you RR team, and especially Andy for the time keeping. Thank you puncture for being of the slow variety that only needed topping up as couple of times.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Paul Longthorn on February 23, 2014, 01:50:50 PM
Yes tough ride today. Thanks to Andy H for time keeping. Yes strong cross winds at the top. Glad everyone made it ok. Good turn out considering the much talked about weather forecast. We have a week break before RR3.

We had  6 Qualify
We had 5 Outside the time
And one Disqualifed

So the competition is still wide open
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 23, 2014, 01:54:28 PM
You must of had at least 2 disqualified...
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: marknott on February 23, 2014, 02:00:34 PM
Thanks Andy for your time and the lift !!!

Hard one for me too as I was a Bwlch virgin, but no longer......what a grind that was.!!!

Quads are screaming !!! Lol,

Cheers Guys.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Tom on February 23, 2014, 03:11:15 PM
It was nice to see a few club-mates this morning ,if only for 45 mins.I knew of course that once I decided to turn left at Margam the weather on the Bwllch was bound to be balmy,as it would have been a nightmare if I'd gone on up!In fact I had second thoughts as soon as I did turn as it was a real slog back to Porthcawl,around Ogmore and to Llantwit.I got back home bang on 4 hrs,and no longer having a bike computer guess I must have achieved my target of 50+(maybe not-do I average less than 12.5 mph now?)Glad everyone got round ok and thanks to Andy for time-keeping.I'm not out next Sunday(pre-birthday celebrations )but you can't keep me away from RR3!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: xrayspecs on February 23, 2014, 03:13:52 PM
You didn't miss anything except me pushing my bike down the first bit of the descent after being talked up there by Tim…
Scary stuff for a lightweight.
Was it Ron taking photos on the other side? If so will they be going in the gallery?
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Teresa on February 23, 2014, 04:54:54 PM
If there are any photos I will gladly put them on the website, along with extracts from the reports.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Wayne E on February 23, 2014, 05:06:25 PM
Thanks Andy for a good job on timekeeping . Thanks also  to Andrew S for the tow around.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: ron b on February 24, 2014, 09:22:48 AM
Weather wasn't that bad, Rob you passed me Saturday about 4PM, Bwlch was 5 degrees. Sunday it was 8 degrees, temp at Cymmer was 10 degrees on Sat and Sun. As for photos, missed Wayne, Andy S and AN Other, arrived at the summit too early, Wayne "going for it". took 37 photos of the rest, anyone who has the energy to wave or smile has not put in 100% on the climb. Picture will be posted soon. Did pass through a big rain storm on the way to PT. I am off to winter training camp now will return refreshed and ready for the Celtic 2 TT.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 24, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
All the weather was on the top and particularly the south side on Sunday Ron...believe me you wouldn't have stood long taking photos over there, it was savage! Sorry I missed you Saturday, I was doing intervals so in the zone. I think we all found the climb a bit too warm Sunday; Saturday evening was a bit fresher. Look forward to seeing the picture of Chris taking his only turn on the front for the photo! (actually that's a bit harsh)
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Teresa on February 24, 2014, 05:38:08 PM
Thanks for the pics, Ron

Now up on the website with a few of the reports
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: ron b on February 26, 2014, 09:06:31 AM
Pics of reliability ride 2  on the Col d Bwlch are on "On your bike" Reliability Rides.
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: xrayspecs on February 26, 2014, 09:21:49 AM
None of group Rosser / Jones?
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Steven on February 26, 2014, 03:54:57 PM
You were too fast - I have one which is now adorning my Facebook profile!
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Rob Jones on February 26, 2014, 05:02:23 PM
Ron emailed me some Chris. I can forward em on to you
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Teresa on February 26, 2014, 06:09:03 PM
Hope to put them on the website this evening for all to see the super fit cyclists whizzing up the Bwlch  ;)
Title: Re: Reliability Rides 2014.
Post by: Teresa on February 26, 2014, 07:39:37 PM
Some pics are now on the Rel Ride page of the website, the rest are on the Gallery page of the website.  Enjoy