My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: birdman on January 19, 2014, 01:24:56 PM

Title: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: birdman on January 19, 2014, 01:24:56 PM
Anyone else had this delight!!
now stuck in the middle of the Rhonda awaiting rescue by the long haired general.
luckily i wasn't on a fast decent as it flew up into the rear wheel and jammed.

due to the wonder of modern technology i was able to mark exactly where i am and send it in a text message, rather than trying to find a phone box like the not so good old days!!!!

rant over.
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Andy H on January 19, 2014, 04:35:30 PM
Happened to me last year, luckily close to home.
Also luckily only the mech hanger snapped, as it looked like the mech was trashed.
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Rob Jones on January 19, 2014, 04:46:28 PM
Happened to me last year, luckily close to home.
Also luckily only the mech hanger snapped, as it looked like the mech was trashed.

A mechanical for Andy  :o

Surely not!?! 
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Andy H on January 19, 2014, 05:09:39 PM
Also managed to snap a rear mech packing bike up for summer holidays last year.

yes I know, a theme is developing
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: xrayspecs on January 19, 2014, 05:26:13 PM
I think Andy felt bad he hadn't had a mechanical today so stopped just to see if he could find one...
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Rob Jones on January 19, 2014, 05:52:59 PM
I am always amazed how little goes wrong with bikes...often there are niggles and inconveniences but I can honestly say that in 26 years of proper distance road riding, I have never had a mechanical that has prevented me from getting to my destination.

I think that is credit to the simplicity and quality of bicycles!

I don't know how typical my experience is...I do know that in about half as many years driving, I have not been able to get to my destination without roadside assistance or at all, at least half a dozen times because of mechanicals!

The rear mech snapping I am guessing is a bit of a ride ender!
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: xrayspecs on January 19, 2014, 07:33:06 PM
I carry some quick links and a chain tool so we could make a single speed if it happens on a club run.
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Shawn on January 19, 2014, 07:51:51 PM
rear mech went for me. In a very similar manner as described. Total inversion into the rear spokes wam bam good night
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Rob Jones on January 19, 2014, 09:25:50 PM
What causes these things to snap?
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Chris Tasker on January 19, 2014, 09:38:40 PM
Lack of chain lube, stiff link, badly adjusted rear mech, stick in the chain or rear cassette or just plain bad luck. I was stuck for a couple of hours in Pontypridd in full RAF Cycling kit on a Saturday lunchtime a couple of years ago and know your pain!
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: birdman on January 19, 2014, 11:19:54 PM
Chris,

Luckily the locals are so friendly and full of useful advice such as "Aren't you supposed to ride it and not push it!!!" or the slightly overweight bloke in slippers and wearing last nights tea at 2 in the afternoon standing across the road just staring but perhaps the best was the comment from the young lad walking two dogs "Well that's f@@ked your afternoon" (How ironic on such a good day for cycling!!).

Croeso i Gymru!!!
Title: Re: rear mech snaping off!!
Post by: Chris Tasker on January 20, 2014, 06:09:29 AM
 ;D