My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Ben on June 11, 2017, 09:41:58 PM
-
Myself and Mal left Margam at 9.30 this morning. Along with three others Jim, Phil (Both Mal's friends) and one of mine Neil. We were set to do the 153km Medio Fondo Dragon ride.
I was uber prepared for this ride. I decided on Monday that instead of doing some nice gentle miles I'd catch the Plague instead. Plenty of Orange Juice, Berocca and tissues meant that it was touch and go today. A week of hoping that the plague didn't get onto my chest which thankfully it didn't. I made sure I had lots to eat and drink on the ride. Probably a bit too much.
(http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a625/logicalretrobike/IMG_1497116027833_zpsvm9uzu7p.jpg) (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/logicalretrobike/media/IMG_1497116027833_zpsvm9uzu7p.jpg.html)
The longest ride I've been on so far though was 75 miles and only took in the Bwlch. So this was going to be a challenge. Armed with a new Macmillan jersey and some fresh legs I met Mal, Neil, Jim and Phil and we took up our places on the start line.
(http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a625/logicalretrobike/20170611_092323_zpsw3ehoska.jpg) (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/logicalretrobike/media/20170611_092323_zpsw3ehoska.jpg.html)
If Mal was nervous he wasn't letting it show.
(http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a625/logicalretrobike/20170611_092331_zpsiwjpcijt.jpg) (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/logicalretrobike/media/20170611_092331_zpsiwjpcijt.jpg.html)
We set off at a gentle pace the plan being we keep it to around 14mph to make sure we all finish. So according to Strava we promptly set a few PR's :o Including the full Bwlch climb from Pontrhydfen to the top of the Bwlch. I took 23 minutes off my last time.
A few comfort breaks and a long pause at the top of the Bwlch waiting for traffic we navigated a several hundred MG's there was a rider who was being attended to on the descent hope he's ok.
We then tootled into Treorchy and started the Rhigos. Again PB for me by 4 minutes. Which showed on my face when I stopped to put my arms back on and get the photo op.
(http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a625/logicalretrobike/20170611_115908_zps3melsirj.jpg) (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/logicalretrobike/media/20170611_115908_zps3melsirj.jpg.html)
I think I should have sucked it in
48.5mph down the otherside overtaking the slow moving cars meant I got a bit of time back while I had a breather. Neil was long gone by now though. So the other 4 riders met up at the first feed station in Penderyn. Where it promptly decided to rain. So we set off into a headwind and the driving rain towards the Devils Elbow. Over the common just after Penderyn we made some good time and another lovely quick descent albeit with a load of people running the other way in the Castles relay. At this point the weather couldn't decide what it wanted to do.
The Devils Elbow was an interesting challenge. If you push too hard at the bottom you will blow up at some point further on. Was a case of plodding along keeping the pedals going. Oh and smile at the first hairpin :) The wind reared its head again on the final stretch of the climb and I went from a comfy pace to nearly a dead stop. Then it was on to the 2nd and final feed stop.
The food was so nice at both stops. They added hot croissant and wraps at this one. So we all ate our fill had another picture.
(http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a625/logicalretrobike/20170611_143715_zpsm3bnesxv.jpg) (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/logicalretrobike/media/20170611_143715_zpsm3bnesxv.jpg.html)
Mal was a little tired and couldn't find the camera I think.
It started to bucket down at this point so I put on my coat. And carried on. Once we got towards Glyneath we had to turn up Glyneath Bank. What a lie that name is. It's not a bank. It's another mountain!!!! It kept going on and on and on and on and on and (well you get the message). From Glyneath we followed the route through Seven Sisters and down to Neath where the lovely Cimla hill (Sorry they recategorised it today as a mountain) waited for us. Compared to my last attempt at this evil mound I nearly flew up it today. Worrying that I may have killed my legs for the last bit we got to Port Talbot and a bit of a niceish TT style ride where I caught up with Mal. He didn't want to do the sprint finish. I still had a bit left in the legs and decided I was going to have a good finish. Plus the wife was picking me up at 5.30 so I only had 5 minutes. So I pushed on Grinning like a cheshire cat as I crossed the line for my medal and Erdinger Alcohol free beer. Mal finished a few minutes later also with a mad grin on his face. All in all it was an amazing ride despite the weather. I'm going to class it as my first century due to the wind. So :P
Two very happy but very tired medal winners....
(http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a625/logicalretrobike/IMG-20170611-WA0001_zpsbirxzzz1.jpg) (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/logicalretrobike/media/IMG-20170611-WA0001_zpsbirxzzz1.jpg.html)
-
Great effort guys.
-
Well done guys, it's a bit of a slog with all the climbing but very satisfying when completed. Gutted I had to miss out this year. Chapeau gents
-
Well done and a good read too!
-
Great report Ben only one mistake I did want to do a sprint finish but was physically incapable of it !! You were like Griepel at the end you whippersnapper
-
I wish. My legs were complaining a lot. I wanted that beer though!!!