My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: ron b on January 17, 2014, 11:58:58 AM

Title: Fixed wheel bikes
Post by: ron b on January 17, 2014, 11:58:58 AM
I have an old TT frame which I want to convert to a single speed, so rear wheel, it was fitted with a 10 speed block, what size axle will I need. Chain ring/ chain, is this a different size from a normal chain width. Bike will be used on the road with brakes. All info greatly appreciated.
Title: Re: Fixed wheel bikes
Post by: Steven on January 17, 2014, 01:00:40 PM
The chain, chainring and sprocket are different. You will need to ensure it is exactly in line by using spacers.
Title: Re: Fixed wheel bikes
Post by: Jason T on January 17, 2014, 03:04:14 PM
I would suggest looking at a rear wheel with a flip-flop hub, best to check if the bike has vertical dropouts or you'll be looking at a chain tension system.

Also worth checking your chain line as you might be able to use your existing cranks.
Title: Re: Fixed wheel bikes
Post by: Chris Tasker on January 17, 2014, 04:15:55 PM
Hi Ron,

Check out this site, it'll answer all your questions and has a good gallery for ideas. http://www.lfgss.com

Chris