My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Nick Langley on January 27, 2017, 10:26:30 PM
-
As it's likely to be very wet and potentially slippery I'd say it's probably best to stick mostly to main roads. Open to options/variations but suggested route for Sunday is
Brackla-Coychurch-Pencoed-Llanharan-Llanharry-Ystradowen-Cowbridge-Llandow-Boverton-Llanwit Major-Marcross-Monknash-Wick Road-St Brides-Southerndown-Ogmore-New Inn Road-A48-Pyle-Heol Y Glo-Parc Slip-Fountain Rd-Aberkenfig-Pen Y Cae(Alpine Climb)-Designer Outlet-Brackla
Various options for coffee, Cafe Velo (early), Ewenny(middle), Parc Slip (late). Or potentially all 3!!
Let me know if you're happy with the route and hopefully see a few hardened souls out on Sunday
Nick
https://www.strava.com/routes/7486115
-
Good idea, sometimes if it's pi**ing down, it's best just to do the ride without stopping. 50 miles should not be a problem. Let's see what the weather holds!
-
Good route Nick.
I will be there in the morning, if it gets extreme I might bin it half way round/as we pass Broadlands! I'm glad to say that the days of "If it ain't rainin, it ain't trainin" are well and truly behind me!
See you tomorrow........ :)
-
I was very disappointed to get to Physiques this morning to find 6 other maniacs willing to take on the weather...I was hoping I would be alone and be able to turn back home. It started wet, the middle section was mainly wet, with a little rain to finish us off.
7 of us left with Tom dropping off as we went through Pencoed I believe to pick his own tailored route. We carried on through to Llanharan where we headed south towards Llanharry and down into Brynsadler. Picking up the road to Cowbridge I was dropped twice (the blame was put solely on the cold muscles, not the fact that I couldn't keep up with the 4 pacers). Kudos to Mike for sticking in there and Steve Curry for dropping back and pacing me back to the group. Climbing out of Cowbridge we headed to Llandow then headed west along the return leg of the Club 10.
After St Brides my legs were numb and my feet were like ice blocks so returned back to Bridgend via Death Valley and the remaining 5 continued round the Ogmore Loop. Strava informs me that the remainers didn't do much more and ditched the rest of the ride after the coastal loop.
Well done to the 'character builders' today, and surprisingly saw a good amount of equally mad cyclists en route. Out today were
Me (cold muscles)
Tom (top shorts)
Steven (smiled so much his cheeks hurt)
Steve Curry (super domestique)
Mike (tractor driver)
Nigel (rain unfazes him)
Greg (tried to get there too late but unfortunately not late enough to miss us)
RR1/smashfest next week. Check the website for details and remember it's open to non-members too so bring a friend if you want
Cheers
Nick
-
And I forgot to mention that Mr Madeley went for a sip of his drink in Cowbridge only to find Allen keys and a spare tube were his fluid of choice! Luckily Greg had a spare bottle...complete with water...and spared him a dry January ride. Although we have a long way to go, please can someone with a better memory than me bring this up at the next club dinner ;)
-
Cheers Nick-I did the advertised route but after opting for the cycle track to Pencoed I was 50 yards back and just missed the lights.I did think about chasing back but then thought forget that and followed in your footsteps but after going round Southerndown& Ogmore decided enough was enough.
I did warn you beforehand I'd not be staying the course so didn't expect you to wait
-
Yeh we knew you'd said beforehand so decided you'd be happy continuing. Well done on sticking it for that long, it was tough going today. Hope the shorts helped 👍
-
They're not shorts-they just cover the front-the CTC shop sell them,excellent in the rain!(they call them rain legs()