My Community
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Andy H on January 17, 2017, 01:59:38 PM
-
We'll be getting the rollers out, this Friday. There will be at least 3 sets available for anybody who wants to practice or try for the first time. We have the club roller competition in a few weeks and need more entries than last year, to challenge the current champion.
Rollers have a different training feel to the turbo and are excellent for developing your pedaling efficiency.
Come along and have a try, from 8:00 onwards.
-
What is the date for the roller competition?
are these the gears we would use from a standing start
39x13; 42x14; 48x16; 50x17; 52x17 or 53x18
does that mean you would not change gear i.e. stay in the 50x17 for the 1km?
-
I'd love/hate/fear a go on Friday Andy. See you there at 8
-
Norman or Tim will advise on the gearing, I honestly can't remember!
But yes to staying in the same gear, although thinking about it could change down to a smaller gear but obviously no advantage there.
Nick, you'll be fine, it does just need a bit of practice
-
I did it last year and it is a good laugh. I was useless at it! I believe it is a fixed gear inch can't remember exactly how many inches (89?) but because of that you can't change gear. I would recommend taking part, it's good fun.
Ta
P
-
Don't worry about having a go I was at the track tonight and slipped as I came off the rollers. I Barely managed to stay upright, much to the enjoyment of the children who had been practicing earlier with their hands off the bars.
-
Dave
Roller Competition
Friday 10th February. Club room open at 8.00pm. Competition to start at 8.30 with individual time trials over 1.00km on the competition rollers so the field can be seeded.
It is then a knockout competition with the winners of each pair going forward. 1 ride only between competitors at this stage.
The final will be best of 3 rides
Any bike may be ridden but no gear higher than 80 inches may be used. Look up a gear table to decide what will suit your bike. I will post some advisory combos of gears shortly under a separate Roller Race heading.
It's a fun event.
You may use as many seconds/supporters as you wish to hold you up if you want to try that.
It is a standing start so it is important to train your fast start
We have the training rollers in the Club house so you can practice ANY Friday before the event.
Tim
-
Thanks Tim for the info.need to practice a standing start and going really fast.
gear table for 700c x 23c wheels/tyres. As a guide a 39x13; 42x14; 48x16; 50x17; 52x17 or 53x18 would be acceptable.
-
Two club members 'familiarised' themselves with rollers, so should boost entries for the competition!
-
Familiarised maybe an exaggeration !
Thanks Andy for the encouragement on Friday.
-
You and Nick both did well, just need a few more practice sessions
-
I'll be down this coming Friday for some more practice, thanks for the guidance Andy
-
Should be along again Friday and we can 'progress' the training!
-
how about this roller battle on Friday night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NY5agltOUQ
not sure about bunny hopping on rollers :o
-
Wow - some great handling skills.
Shall I bring the juggling balls ;)