My Community

General Category => Sportives => Topic started by: Dave W on October 12, 2016, 01:05:27 PM

Title: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Dave W on October 12, 2016, 01:05:27 PM
entries open for British cycling members with 10% off

https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/39414554/priceCategories/39580153/primaryForm?inviteId=15b4f6d6-06e2-4440-b058-44fa45ac634d&_p=45357513557518525&utm_campaign=7628882_Velothon%25202017%2520Solus&utm_medium=email&utm_source=British%2520Cycling&utm_content=Velothon

Team
Ogmore valley wheelers

Password
Oggies

I've put down going for the 4hour time  :o

Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Carrie H on October 12, 2016, 01:43:20 PM
I,ve entered too for a slower group.

Team name OVW 25ers
Password Slower Oggies

estimated time 5:30-6 hours
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: RoyH on October 12, 2016, 02:43:21 PM
Where/ how do I join the team, I got no option to do so when I registered or if I try to edit my registration?
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nick H on October 12, 2016, 03:39:36 PM
Hi Roy,

The team option was near the bottom of the main registration page, below the main personal and medical details, but just above the advertising and waiver opt-ins. There were 3 options, "No" was default, but you could either join a team or create another. I guess if you didn't spot it then the default would apply.

It would be worth looking into whether one could join up once registered - it shouldn't be impossible to do but isn't clear. One other option possible is that I notice that on the receipt email there is a link to transfer the entry to someone else - which I suppose could be yourself perhaps requiring an alternative email address? No doubt there'll be an "admin" fee somewhere along the line.

If you don't fancy doing the ride in under 4 hours, your company would be welcome riding at a 25er's pace...
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Dave W on October 12, 2016, 03:42:39 PM
if didn't join a team I'm sure this can be changed later by emailing them and getting added to the correct team ;D

Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Andy S on October 12, 2016, 04:27:25 PM
Yes Dave,as last year if you email the organisers they can add you to a team or correct any mistakes.
Under 4 hours-only Paul managed that last year,so would be quite something,and would put Team OVW in top finishers,I vaguely remember Bath were quickest last year with average 3.50ish 
 :o
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Dave W on October 12, 2016, 05:16:38 PM
something to aim for Andy  ;D
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nige on October 12, 2016, 06:28:58 PM
 :)I have signed up tonight

Team
Ogmore valley wheelers

Password
Oggies

I've put down going for the 4 to 4.5 hour time as last year i was in that bracket
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Greg B on October 13, 2016, 12:08:08 PM
registered
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: RoyH on October 13, 2016, 01:05:27 PM
Managed to sort joining the team today, thanks for the help, Nick I decided to go with the main oggies team as they should have an earlier start time.
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Reece0 on October 13, 2016, 01:06:30 PM
Just entered.

Note the password is case sensitive and is not in caps at all.
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nick Langley on October 13, 2016, 02:43:44 PM
I'm in with a 4-4.5 hour time
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: RichardB on October 13, 2016, 09:25:48 PM
I'm in and yes watch out for the case sensitive password, oggies.

I also put down 4 to 4 1/2 hours which is of course unlikely 😬
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Reece0 on May 10, 2017, 05:46:24 PM
Had an email today regarding closing dates for joining as a team. Can the team owner confirm who has entered as part of the team as I can Access at the moment.

Cheers
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: craig m on May 11, 2017, 02:25:59 PM
Hi Reece

members listed so far for the Velothon:

Neil Bartlett
craig macdonald
David Walters
Nigel Williams
Andrew Samuels
Roy Holdham
Kevin Read
Stephen Chapman
Reece Adams
Nick Langley
Richard Bowmer
Greg Brett
Steve Curry
Terry Anthony
Allan Wardhaugh
Andrew Watkins
Michael Hill
Sion Manfield
Anthony Mansell
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Andy H on May 11, 2017, 05:23:10 PM
Quiet club run that Sunday then?!  ;)
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Reece0 on May 11, 2017, 09:58:00 PM
ThNks Craig
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Tom on May 18, 2017, 07:52:51 PM
is no-one riding the 12? Andy?Steve L??
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Andy H on May 18, 2017, 10:08:54 PM
I'm away that weekend Tom but would've chosen the 12 over the velothon!  :D
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Reece0 on June 21, 2017, 09:36:31 PM
Start times are out

07:00 pen A for me

http://www.velothon.com/~/media/bd50d60b803749599082be2b83bf1a67/velothon%20140%20%20first%20bib%20list.pdf
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 22, 2017, 03:31:41 PM
Worrying! can't seem to find myself on the list  :(
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Dave W on June 22, 2017, 04:30:32 PM
names from the list with ogmore against their name
Reece, terry,neil bartllet,rich bowmer, neurofen greg,steve curry,phil evans,mr and mrs hawksworth,mike hill,roy,nick langley,craig,sion manfield, tony mansell,kevin read,dodgy knees,ross sheehan, Dave W,allan wardhaugh,andrew watkins,nigel williams,

I have attached the team times if we work together should come in under 4hours😀 and providing it doesn't lash it down on the tumble again. lets go for top 5 in the team times.

I will be aiming for 4hrs this time round
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 28, 2017, 05:22:16 PM
I've signed up for the 110km ride by mistake and just been told I can't transfer because it's to late :(
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: RichardB on June 28, 2017, 07:08:03 PM
That's mean of them, just join in with the rest of us?
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nick Langley on June 28, 2017, 09:18:30 PM
I'd say;
A) Try sneaking into the 7am pen with us all, however failing this...
B) Rosser was saying him and possibly Jason might just start from the magic roundabout???
C) Do the 140km starting at your normal time
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nick Langley on July 07, 2017, 09:29:05 AM
A friend from work can't do the Velothon on Sunday anymore so is giving up his place. His start time is 0801 for the 140km route....if anyone wants this they can come and pick it up from me either tonight or tomorrow....I will be picking the race pack up at lunchtime today. Post on here or send me a message on 07725081729
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Steve Chapman on July 07, 2017, 06:49:19 PM
Where are we meeting? I need to be in the middle of a few of you to hide my number as we enter the pen! Anyone parking in County Hall?
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Tom on July 07, 2017, 07:08:47 PM
So who was the Oggie(s)featured so prominently on BBC Wales news just now.Apparently the organisers have asked riders to wear something yellow in honour of Geraint's yellow jersey.They showed footage of HQ with a back view of one Oggie(on screen quite a while)then a front view(red helmet)but the face was obscured as he was talking to a rider in black between him and the camera.Someone cleverer than me can probably do a screen grab-in the Sports section about 6.50
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nige on July 07, 2017, 09:58:37 PM
Tony in club kit, Terry sat down and looked like Steve C from the back.
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: RichardB on July 08, 2017, 07:57:37 AM
I'm parking at the Cardiff City stadium and cycling to the start pen from there.
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Dave W on July 08, 2017, 08:06:06 AM
morning all. Who's up for a smash fest tomorrow to get the best team time? ::) I.e. Chaingang the whole while working with other people.
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Jason T on July 08, 2017, 10:42:10 AM
Mark, my mate Math (who's ridden with us a few times) and myself should be at the Magic Roundabout (or just behind it on the Ocean Way stretch) for 07:00.  :)
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: harpo on July 09, 2017, 07:22:10 PM
Whats everybodys times then??
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Dave W on July 09, 2017, 09:05:37 PM
7am start for everyone this morning. the pep talk went along the lines of try to work together while smashing it.

once we got away we picked up Mr Rosser, Jason and his mate mat at the magic roundabout. the speed went up and up along with lots of dodgy calls through the turns. On the newport flats across the bridge was the worst accident couple of bikes touched wheels and went down.
dipstick me managed to take a wrong turn due to a milk lorry hiding the left turn to the tumble. 500m off course back on with the Craig and Rosser chaingang.
Weather was great today and the people along the route

here are the chips times   (5947 riders rode the long route)
                    Time      Speed mph  Position
Dave W           04:05:44            21.24    107
Craig M           04:05:48            21.24    108
Allan W           04:09:02            20.96    129
steve C           04:11:25            20.76    147
Nigel W           04:15:13            20.45    189
Reece A           04:33:28            19.09    462
Nick L           04:46:39            18.21    791
Dodgy Knees   05:04:24            17:15    1276
Greg Brett   05:08:38            16.91    1422
Richard B           05:08:55            16.9      1429
Neil B           05:14:27            16.6      1623
Mike H           05:18:33           16.39     1784
andrew W   05:27:26           15.94     2062
Ross S           05:34:34           15.6       2339
Nick H           05:47:43           15:01     2857
Carrie H           05:47:43           15:01     2858
Lee E           05:47:48           15:01     2865
Kevin R           07:03:18           12:33     5138
Sion M           07:03:18           12.33      5137
Roy H           07:03:19           12.33      5139

Chips time for Tony Terry and Steve C are not showing on the website

Well done to everyone   :D

searching for pictures I found this Nigel sprinting over the line
https://twitter.com/Velothon/status/883994109870002176?s=08
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Toestrapsteve on July 09, 2017, 09:59:10 PM
Well.done Oggies - great day for it and loads of PB's. Glad the timing chip didn't work - way slower than my 4:05:37 from last year. Needed that coffee -cheers Terry/Tony
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Greg B on July 10, 2017, 07:33:30 AM
Big thanks to the oggies that helped at my second puncture with the pump and spare tube. I must carry more spares in future! I'd phoned the wife to pick me up until you guys came to the rescue.
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nige on July 10, 2017, 07:37:11 AM
Anyone know how the team results went?
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Ben on July 10, 2017, 09:33:00 AM
All I know is Cardiff Ajax took the top spot.
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: RoyH on July 10, 2017, 08:11:23 PM
Some pics from yesterday, he didn't get everyone sorry.

https://goo.gl/photos/vSiZ88EsCSqkZeDm8
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: MikeHill on July 10, 2017, 08:45:38 PM
Thanks to Greg for having the second puncture otherwise I wouldn't have realised my rear wheel was loose which was why I got dropped by the amblers 😂.

Thanks to all that waited for an hour for me to finish too 👍🏾

Next year .....

Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: ron b on July 10, 2017, 08:58:11 PM
Well done Carrie, did Nick dip on the line, or following team orders?
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: MikeHill on July 10, 2017, 09:27:51 PM
Thanks to Greg for having the second puncture otherwise I wouldn't have realised my rear wheel was loose which was why I got dropped by the amblers 😂.

Thanks to all that waited for an hour for me to finish too 👍🏾

Next year .....

Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Carrie H on July 10, 2017, 11:33:43 PM
Thanks Ron, and thanks to all who gave me encouragement and advice before, during and after the ride. It was a fabulous event. Knocked 28 minutes off my moving time and halved stoppage time since last year:chuffed. Nick is his own man but kindly stayed with me and let me ride his wheel when I dipped off between 2nd & 3rd feed, could have got a much better time without me.
 :) I was the fastest woman Oggie on the day  :)
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Dave W on July 14, 2017, 11:26:58 AM
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cyclist-velothon-wales-dog-back-13329268
he rode the velothon with a dog on his back
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nige on July 15, 2017, 09:32:10 AM
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/moment-velothon-cyclist-suffered-extremely-11375903

ouch velothon crash
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Ben on July 16, 2017, 12:04:51 PM
WTF!?! How?   ::) :o ;D
Title: Re: Velothon wales 9th July 2017
Post by: Nick H on July 16, 2017, 11:46:04 PM
That was last year - 2016, and it was reported at the time that  he was on a fixie (against the "rules") and his chain broke... looks like his nose might have been damaged a bit too!