My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on September 19, 2016, 06:36:35 PM

Title: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy H on September 19, 2016, 06:36:35 PM
Time to rein in the pace a little now that autumn is here!

An old favorite for Sunday, perfect ride for any Amblers wanting to step up and tryout a pacers ride.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/5517849

See you at 9:00

p.s. barely ridden since the 100TT so I mean it about reducing the pace!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: xrayspecs on September 21, 2016, 05:39:30 PM
Does that mean its safe to turn up on the winter bike?
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy H on September 21, 2016, 05:58:03 PM
You know you'd be safe on a penny farthing, riding at my pace!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy H on September 25, 2016, 03:11:30 PM
Good start to the beginning of the autumn/winter club runs, today.
Sincere apologies to Terry for not stopping when you punctured, nobody shouted or pointed out you'd stopped, sorry!
13 out today, would call it a joint Amblers/Pacers but every body who rode today should be riding with the Pacers, all looked strong enough.
Out today were:-
Greg
Terrry (briefly)
Steven
Harpo
Dodgy
Nigel
Reece
Chris
Rob
Jason
Nick
Mark
and my good self.
Apologies if I've missed anyone.
Steady pace was set out to Neath, which helped keep the group together until the steady climb up to Seven Sisters were some gaps started to appear and we settled into two groups. Over the top and just before the descent to Glynneath Andy S hit a pothole and had a nasty 'off'. Damaged his shoulder and had to be taken to A&E, thanks to a kind passing motorist! We continued on to a timely cafe stop in McDonalds where we avoided a very heavy shower. Called in to Neath Port Talbot hospital to check up on Andy but he'd gone to Morriston, will hope to get an update on his condition later. Pace quickened along Harbour Way before Mark, Jason and Greg had a bit of a 'mash up' and dropped the rest of the group. Made our own way back to Brackla in various small groups to cover 111 km in 3:40.
Apologies for not having bike ready for winter. Consensus among the group is that we should all have mudguards installed from niow on.
Minor point I would like to make about smashing it up the last few miles from home, is to remember it is a group ride and if it breaks up so obviously then faster rides should wait and regroup, if only to inflict more pain on the rest and to make sure nobody is tailed off and left alone.
Please don't take this the wrong way I think its fine to have an increase in pace toward the end of a ride but also mindful of the ethos of a group ride.
Unfortunately I can't make the hill climb or club runnext week, as I'm doing the 'diff half.
Normal service to resume on October 9th
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Jason T on September 25, 2016, 03:26:20 PM
Sorry, got to push it sometimes to get home... just got out of the shower and it's nearly 15:30.

Good riding today by everyone, I didn't even know Terry was with us  :-[

Any news on Andy S then please post.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy H on September 25, 2016, 04:06:44 PM
Understandable and a fair point.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Nige on September 25, 2016, 04:32:15 PM
Good ride today thanks guys, did manage to catch Mark,Greg and Jason but then got dropped at Stormy down. Did a loop around Ogmore against wind.... silly boy. Hope Andy is OK.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy H on September 25, 2016, 04:57:26 PM
Broken clavicle and good road rash!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Jason T on September 25, 2016, 05:07:07 PM
So I guess he's now been sent home, wonder if they'll end up pinning/plating it for him (faster recovery if so).
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: harpo on September 25, 2016, 05:11:45 PM
i didn't no what to do in port  Talbot, catch them up or wait for the others, decided to catch them up, as i would never live it down! i think we should regroup after a segment( glynneath to aberdullias is a segment plus  getting soaked from spray) Good to see you back Andy and get well soon dodgy!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Greg B on September 25, 2016, 05:23:51 PM
Wish Andy a speedy recovery. Apologies for the split at the end, id normally blame Harpo! But it wasnt his fault. Enjoyed though.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: ron b on September 25, 2016, 08:07:32 PM
25er's do not do Mac D's, come on Andy, got to keep the standards up, are riders falling off or having punctures just to avoid that orrible brown liquid?
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: harpo on September 25, 2016, 09:24:59 PM
At least we didn't go in opposite directions after we had the coffee Ron! :)
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy S on September 25, 2016, 11:34:37 PM
Well,what a weekend!
I have toured the A&E departments of South Wales,top marks yesterday to RGH for a prompt CT scan for my Ffion,fell off her horse,all OK
And today nice coffee in Morriston with a good road rash scrubdown just to add to my pain,they said have some Entonox,I said no,he started,I said OK then but just a little bit mind cos I'm hard as nails see,why is that he asks,Rule 5 I quipped,puzzled looks all round,I laughed and my shoulder said see who's tough now then
Thanks boys
See you soon
ps the knees are in full working order so I can ride,but don't tell Karen!(maybe turbo would be allowed!)
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Terry A on September 25, 2016, 11:41:20 PM
Hey Jason - you know how to make someone feel unimportant haha 😯

I turned around in Port Talbot (I did shout) as my front tyre was slowly deflating - pressures were fine this morning. I was on tubeless and it looks like it had none of the latex solution left and so hence the gradual loss of air. I rode slowly home and got back to the Heronstone before it gave up totally and so a 1.5 mile walk ... not as bad as it might have been ☺.

Sorry to read about your fall Andy ; get well soon fella.

Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Jason T on September 26, 2016, 07:01:55 AM
Andy, get in touch with your insurance (BC, CTC etc) and get those pictures sent off before they try to fill the hole.

Terry, I tend to carry one of the following in a jersey pocket;
https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/effetto-mariposa-espresso-doppio-75ml-road-p292680/s458877?gclid=COTTvMytrM8CFcUK0wodoocEIQ
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Terry A on September 26, 2016, 08:02:55 AM
Hey Jason - I thought you would know how to fix it. Those wheels are now in Winter storage but will get some of those cartridges - have you used them on regular tubes/tyres combo ?

It was the lack of latex solution - I reinflated the tyre and it stayed fine but I'm sure would deflate again if out riding it.

Cheers.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Jason T on September 26, 2016, 08:57:37 AM
I've not used it on tubes, a guy in work has put sealant in tubes before and had a little bit of success ~ I would have thought it would work best with latex tubes.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Steven on September 26, 2016, 09:02:32 AM
Andy

The pros are normally back on the Turbo within 5 days. If there is an upside, it's probably the best time of year to break it!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy S on September 27, 2016, 07:43:26 AM
Thankyou Steven
Started talking Watt Bike purchase at 5.30 this morning,the codeine let it slip out,the good wife says that proves it-cycling causes madness,I am sure that leg weight machines are also still possible to do,
I need to keep my thoughts to myself,as WW3 kicked off at that suggestion!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Jason T on September 27, 2016, 07:56:27 AM
Gently does it on the turbo, slowly build from there as it would be good to get your legs turning sooner rather than later, you won't need to do any serious efforts for a while.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Paul Nicholas on September 27, 2016, 09:26:37 PM
All the best Andy, take it easy that can be a really painful break. I just went out walking to begin with, then got on the turbo when I felt ready. On the bright side not a bad time of year for it to happen plenty of time to build up the fitness indoors in time to smash it when the sun comes out. I got some workouts I could send to you if you like which are quite varied with out of the saddle efforts which might help you keep some strength in your arm.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 25th September
Post by: Andy S on September 28, 2016, 10:43:03 AM
Thankyou Terry,Jason and Paul.
Those suggestions and workouts sound good,yes please