My Community

General Category => Time Trials => Topic started by: Teresa on August 07, 2016, 08:58:10 PM

Title: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Teresa on August 07, 2016, 08:58:10 PM
Club run will be sparse with 11 Oggies entered in this event

And once again, some very interesting start sheet placings  :o

https://sites.create-cdn.net/sitefiles/13/3/1/133127/Pontypool_10_Start_160814.pdf
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: ron b on August 08, 2016, 07:08:07 AM
always wanted to be a Hare?
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: RichardB on August 08, 2016, 08:01:34 AM
always wanted to be a Hare?

And three of us from one club off consecutively?
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Teresa on August 08, 2016, 08:27:09 AM
I was being polite when I said 'interesting'

Members from the same club
Whilst it is sometimes desirable to put members of a particular club off near to each other, especially when they are travelling out to the event together, members of the same club should NEVER be given adjacent numbers.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: stevelandeg on August 08, 2016, 10:24:03 AM
Please don't complain and get this re-arranged.
I'm on an ego boosting nought.
Never happened before.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: norman james on August 14, 2016, 02:20:29 PM
Pontypool R.C.C. and Ogmore Valley Whs. Club Championship 10 miles T.T.14/08/16

Result :-
1st    Mark Rosser        O.V.W.     21mins. 43secs.
2nd.  Neil Poulton        O.V.W.     21mins. 52secs.
3rd.  Chris Goodwin     O.V.W.     22mins. 48secs.
4th.  Steven Madeley   O.V.W.     23mins. 04secs.
5th.  Stephen Landeg  O.V.W.     24mins. 14secs.
6th.  Greg Brett            O.V.W.     25mins. 15secs.
7th.  Richard Bowmer   O.V.W.     25mins. 32secs.
8th.  Ron Boast            O.V.W.     27mins. 43secs.
9th.  Norman James     O.V.W.     30mins. 51secs.
D.N.S. :-  Andy Harries, Bowen Mason.

It was a calm day and not too cold.  Generally times were good
with the overflow event being won in 21mins.31secs.( main event
results not posted on finishing board before I left for home).
Congratulations to Mark Rosser for becoming our 2017 club champion.
Also P.B's for Richard Bowmer and Greg Brett,  and Seasons Best for
Stephen Landeg,Neil Poulton,Steven Madeley, and Norman James.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Mark Pope on August 14, 2016, 04:37:23 PM
Great effort guys.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Steven on August 14, 2016, 05:12:35 PM
Keiron caught me for 2 mins just before the turn and broke the course record apparently! Anybody know his time?
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: RichardB on August 14, 2016, 05:43:24 PM
Disappointed with my time today, not a PB having done 24:55 on the same course earlier in the season. The conditions were perfect today, warm and very still. So not really sure what happened out there for me today.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Teresa on August 14, 2016, 07:19:30 PM
Course record for Kieron with 18:36
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: NeilRhys on August 14, 2016, 08:28:41 PM
Well done to all. Great ride Mark...really well done :-)
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Rob Jones on August 14, 2016, 09:01:17 PM
RichardB - High pressure is the culprit. A bit of a breeze and low pressure would be faster conditions. Some real mischief with the numbering today. In addition to several of you being scheduled consecutively, I had the same number (67) as the other Rob Jones on the start list. So I got back and saw his ride on the results and started panicking at it being almost 3 minutes slower than I knew I'd ridden. I was wondering what to do about it when my eye caught his club name. Phew!
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: RichardB on August 15, 2016, 07:31:50 AM
Thanks for the explanation of today's conditions Rob.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Steven on August 15, 2016, 08:04:18 AM
The pressure at 2pm was 1026hpa, the highest I can remember for my flying lessons!  Pressure is a factor, but it did not stop many doing PB's.  I would look to what you are doing to raise your speed (chaingangs) or power ( hills or squats).
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: ron b on August 15, 2016, 08:25:53 AM
Or watching the Olympics?
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Teresa on August 15, 2016, 09:50:12 AM
Results

https://sites.create-cdn.net/sitefiles/13/3/1/133127/Pontypool_10_Finish_160814.pdf
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: xrayspecs on August 15, 2016, 11:39:38 AM
There is also another sort of pressure at work; pressure to succeed. I'm sure like me you expected to do a better time after a season of steady gains and near perfect weather.
Just like last year I spent too many pennies out and paid for it into the slight headwind back getting carried away. Reflect on what you have achieved through the whole year and don't dwell on the one day. After all it was a good training session and good fun if nothing else.
Looking forward to club 59/58/57/56/55/54/53 next year; this has been a major success in my opinion.
Well done everyone on their rides.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Rob Jones on August 15, 2016, 06:58:23 PM
http://blog.cyclingpowerlab.com/post/Air-pressure-is-everything

If you get low pressure you will go faster. As long as it isn't windy (which it often is). Best time to ride is right after a thunderstorm.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: RichardB on August 15, 2016, 07:41:41 PM
Thanks all for the comments and advice.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: harpo on August 15, 2016, 09:32:05 PM
What a load of rubbish, man up Richard, do some more miles, or buy more expensive bike! got to be creuel to be kind
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Rob Jones on August 15, 2016, 10:32:26 PM
Old school advice from Hadyn - probably the best advice, I was just trying to be nice. Pedal harder ya big poof!
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Dave W on August 15, 2016, 10:49:34 PM
Harpo, have you ever thought of a career change such as the Samaritans or police negotiator? ;D ;D
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: harpo on August 16, 2016, 06:47:45 AM
Yeah bit harsh that! Soz Richard, had a few sherbets after funeral! Is only because I care x
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: RichardB on August 16, 2016, 07:37:55 AM
Wouldn't expect anything different. My plan for this year had been to do triathlon and I didn't have a winter on the bike in order to target some events later in the season. I only got back on the bike 100% from April so I was never going to be on good form this season. I can put that all straight for next year with some good winter training.
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Steven on August 16, 2016, 08:23:14 AM
A good winter base will give payback for the following season.... (old school but the pros still do it!)
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Teresa on August 16, 2016, 10:15:19 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with this. 

Worked for me - good steady training to get the miles in all over winter - and a great season to follow
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Andy H on August 16, 2016, 11:30:00 AM
I think the consensus now, is steady miles OK for pros over winter because they ride so many hours. Us amateurs should stick to 'smashing it' over the winter! We don't ride enough to warrant any REALLY easy riding
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Rob Jones on August 16, 2016, 05:45:01 PM
Smash it every ride
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Andy H on August 16, 2016, 05:46:40 PM
That'll get Haydn smiling!

Trying to keep up with the Pacers means I have to smash myself every ride.  :)
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Toestrapsteve on August 16, 2016, 08:08:48 PM
Get to see nine club members finishing - good times and PB's as well - Oggies are having a good year - pity the road race team's gone quiet...
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: harpo on August 16, 2016, 09:45:57 PM
didnt no we had a race team :-\
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: Rob Jones on August 16, 2016, 09:59:26 PM
You did for the cowbridge 2 day
Title: Re: 14.08.16 Pontypool RCC (Welsh Champ) R10/17
Post by: harpo on August 16, 2016, 10:24:01 PM
that was more or less helping a mate out, havnt done it before or since and I only done one day because I got dropped ;)