My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Mark Pope on July 16, 2016, 12:15:20 PM
-
The weather looks OK tomorrow so I propose we take an amble over the Bwlch. The suggested route is:
Brackla - Coity - Bryncethin - Llangeinor - Lewistown - Ogmore Vale - Pricetown - the Bwlch - Cymmer - Cwmafan - Taibach - A48 Margam - Hafodheulog - Ffordd-y-Gyfraith - Parc Slip - Fountain - Aberkenfig - Bridgend - Brackla
It's around 48 miles with a coffee stop planned for Parc Slip Nature Reserve. See you at 0900.
Mark
-
I'll probably look to meet you on the Common Mark. I tried to go over the Bwllch yesterday and today as the forecast was dull but dry but it was dull but wet both days-let's hope it's 3rd time lucky!!
-
Hi Tom,
Yes, the forecast keeps developing! It would be nice to go over the Bwlch, so hopefully the BBC's legendarily cautious weather reports are bleaker than the reality. See you on the Common.
Mark
-
I'll be on top of common with Tom
-
A grey, damp start to the day saw a mixed group of Pacers/Amblers head out to Coity and then on to Llangeinor to climb the little Bwlch before the groups split with the Amblers deciding to descend out of the gloom and head back down the Valley and out towards Cowbridge, whilst the Pacers stuck to the planned route and headed up and over the Bwlch. The Amblers took in a few short, sharp, moderately cheeky little climbs to make up for avoiding the big one. We stopped for coffee at Hannah's after climbing up the Col du Norman and then strayed from our usual route to take in one of Tom's favourite climbs out of Llanblethian. After that little lung burner we got onto flatter ground at Nash Point and headed home at a decent lick through Llantwit and around the Lanes and coast. The total distance was around 47 miles. Although it remained dry throughout the ride we hardly saw the Sun, which is ironic as I'm now sitting in my beach front Condo in Barrybados writing this report bathed in sunshine. Then again the Sun always shines in Barry! 8)
Out today at various times were:
Mark R
Jason T
Paul N
Dave W
Greg
Chris R
Craig
Steve Chapman
Tom
Mal
Tony
Nigel
Reece
Jonathan Spinks
Roy H (a one man 25er)
Mark P
I think that's everyone!
-
Love Barrybados Mark!
I would like to add for Harpo's benefit that I made sure I brought up the rear around Southerndown/Ogmore(had little choice in reality)so chastened was I by his telling off for not waiting for slower riders last week.
-
BTW-still grim and grey in Bridgend-I may emigrate to Barrybados
-
For the record Mark - not going up the Bwlch was prob the safe option - came within a few feet of of being taken out by someone overtaking going up the Bwlch in 20m visibility fog. Luckily Afan Mtn bike cafe had replacement pants!
-
It was the fog that clinched it for me Chris. The rain was OK but I didn't fancy descending the Bwlch in poor visibility. Ironically today would have been a perfect day to ride that route. I'm glad you managed to get new pants after your close shave!