My Community
General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on July 11, 2016, 08:42:55 PM
-
Suggested route for another epic day out, early start, coffee in Trecastle, take in the Epynt range on the MOD road to Tirabad, lunch in Brecon, then home via Talybont and Ponsticill. if you've any legs left finish with Penycoedcae climb. (haven't actually put it on the route)
https://www.strava.com/routes/5688934
Would prefer to do this on a nice sunny day so possibly a weekend in August before the Bank Holiday if there is a favourable weather forecast. The first weekend I could do would be Saturday 14th August, although this is the Club championship 10TT day, so possibly 21st or 28th (which is the Bank Holiday Sunday).
-
I'm up for this 8) 21st or 28th I'm easy...
-
Count me in, I should be free for any date in August so lets hope for some good weather.
-
Yes should be OK for me
-
Either dates ok with me
-
I'm going to be in West Wales next Sunday then running Severn Bridge Half on Bank Holiday Sunday, so the only day I could lead this ride would be Bank Holiday Monday.
Anybody up for a ride that day?
Obviously if someone wants to get out before then, enjoy!
-
Heat wave this week an all...Jason how about we give this a go next week and go ahead with the route don't think the ambers will want us around again..plus harpo is getting good with directions he made it to Bristol yesterday
Good luck with the events and we are missing our navigator :(
-
What? He got lost the day before yesterday going from Chepstow over the Severn Bridge ;D
It looks like there's two options here;
1. Stick with the ride to Tirabad on the Bank Holiday and do an alternative on Sunday (maybe up to Sennybridge and back over the Devil's Elbow or out to Crickhowell and climb back over Llangatock)
2. Ride out to Tirabad on Sunday and have an alternative with Andy on the Bank Holiday
I'm thinking Tirabad might be better on the Bank Holiday as it might be 9 hours or so, what do people think?
-
sounds like a plan,
I'm busy over the bank holiday weekend and can't make it :(
-
Think I'm OK for both so will go with the flow.
-
'cos the weather forecast isn't so good this weekend, looks like my camping weekend in W.Wales may not go ahead! ;D
Hopefully make it out Sunday and we can head up to Tirabad, forecast is for occasional light showers. I will confirm my plans later in the week.
-
Im hoping to be ok for this one. This time trial lark has knackered my back so im laying off for a few days!
-
I will be there if weather ok
-
It's a gold medal effort to endure the usual 3-4 hours of earbending from Haydn,so the prospect of 7 hours of it is just too much to contemplate
I shall go for a walk with the dog instead
-
😀 ive missed him, havnt seen him in ages!!
-
See you Sunday, then Andy!
-
Be good to have an Amblers run without Harpo gate crashing! ;D
-
I think weather looks reasonable enough to have a crack at this on Sunday (light showers). Do we want to start earlier? Is so is 8:00 OK?
-
I'm ok on time. how many of us are actually going out on Sunday?
-
You, me, Haydn, Jason, Greg and Nigel.
All subject to confirmation......
-
......all others welcome.
Hopefully a good but tough day out!
-
I'm still OK, don't mind start time so will go with the flow.
-
Im ok to meet at 8. My back is getting better slowly!
-
Looks a little windy, should be a challenge.... so is it an 08:00 start?
Let's hope the rain stops in the early hours.
-
I will be there if no rain forecast :)
-
Did you used to say that on the morning of a rugby match, Harpo?!
8:00 it is, wind helpful Neath to Tirabad ;)
-
skin is waterproof only get wet once... mudguards on the bike ready to go 8)
-
Just watched BBC weather forecast, looks OK tomorrow until late afternoon
.......so better ride quickly! ;D
-
Urgh, hope this rain stops before I set off.
-
Looks as if it's a bit slower moving through, see you at Brackla, we can make a decision when we get there. Still forecast for showers :(
-
Mud guards fitted.......see you at 8
-
Have a good'un
Weather report from under my duvet-warm and dry with the prospect of tea and toast
I love lazy Sundays
-
Getting worried , they are not back yet! :)
-
Awesome ride and not a bad route if I say so myself. Thanks for dragging me around, properly wasted on climb from llangamerch wells over to U Chapel, desperately needed that feed in Brecon!
-
Really good route & ride and good miles for everyone, Mark & Harpo really missed out on those roads north of Trecastle.
-
Great ride today, thanks all, hope I didn't slow you down too much. Fare to say I'm tired now .. Cleaning the bike can wait till Monday.
-
Enjoyed today, missed the club runs. Nurofen and red wine for me tonight!🍷
-
Good ride today by everyone
Nice cafe stop with the posh cups
Wasn't impressed with the service in the second stop..she was a miserable ********** you can all fill in the blank....
https://goo.gl/photos/3xwsuMMmeKTZi87Z8
-
Re-hydrated (Red Stripe lager), re-fuelled, (curry) and re-lubed (bike), so time for a quick update on today's ride.
Seven of us left Brackla at 8:00, under grey skies with promise of a shower and rain later at 2:00pm. Mark R, Harpo, Greg, Dave W, Jason, Nigel and me. We started at a pretty rapid pace considering it was into a headwind, early in 130 ride and the ride was 'back loaded' with climbing. I was struggling to hold a wheel by the time we reached Stormy Down and it went on for another 8 hours. We made good time to Neath, Abercraf where Mark and Haydn split to take on the Devil's Elbow. We climbed along Bwlch Cerrig Duon with the early part of the River Tawe on our left, some stunning views on the quite roads. Then dropped on a fast decent through Glasfynyydd forest before rolling in to Trecastle for a very civilized cake stop at the Trecastle tearooms.
Next on the ride was the climb from Llywel up to the military road, Jason, Dave and Greg chatting away like the Three Amigos while Nigel and me slogged away some distance behind. This is a great section, well surfaced, 'rolling' with fast, swooping bends on the way to Tirabad. After a sharp decent into Tirabad, we headed on to Llangamerch Wells, Upper Chapel, Lower Chapel and Brecon. The climb out of Llangamerch ells had me struggling, quite steep and into the headwind, a combination of tiredness and the need for food had me zig-zagging my way to the top and the climb wasn't that steep! :-[
Managed to make it to Brecon where we refuelled before taking on the final challenge of the day the Ponsticill climb, it had now started raining and we'd spent most of the previous hour or so 'psyching out' Nigel about the climb, so when he saw the 20% sign at the bottom I'm sure he let out an audible sigh, I was just too far behind to hear it, fair-play he made it up without TOO much problem. The paced upped a bit from Cefn Coed to Merthyr and Pontypridd and it took a lot of concentration and last vestiges of energy to try and hold a wheel, be it Jason, Greg or Dave's. Kudos to Dave who was strong all day and had ridden in 10 miles and had 10 more to get home.
130 miles in 7:50 (moving time) 8000 ft of climbing, so not strictly speaking an 'Epic' (10,000ft per 10 miles) but an epic day out, thanks all.
Contrary to what I said today I won't be out on tandem next Sunday, as I've got Severn bridge half marathon. I am going out with Keith on Monday, so if anybody fancies an extra ride on weekend drop me txt or whats app message to arrange a meet time
-
Good write up Andy.
Really suffered through the night and this morning with my neck, I've not done that long on the bike since my accident but it was worth it.