My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on November 29, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Title: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Andy H on November 29, 2013, 12:26:28 PM
DON'T FORGET IT'S A 9.30 START THIS SUNDAY

At the moment, the weekend forecast is looking good, how about this for Sunday

http://connect.garmin.com/course/5228354

Taking it easy on the descents of course, you can even take it easy going up, if you like!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Steven on November 29, 2013, 12:45:07 PM

Where is the cafe?
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Andy H on November 29, 2013, 12:52:11 PM
That is the one thing I was concerned about, the only one I know of for certain is on the top of Caerphilly mountain and after the climb to Gelligaer common I won't fancy going up there.

Waiting for Rob to read the post and come up with an option................just found Costa in Caerphilly.
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Steven on November 29, 2013, 03:27:46 PM

The Continental, Bargoed...
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Andy H on November 29, 2013, 04:40:58 PM
Doesn't appear to open Sundays  :(
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Rob Jones on November 29, 2013, 06:12:04 PM
Easy - Parc Cwm Darran, just north of Deri...lovely spot but easily missed if you enjoy the descent too much!

http://www.visitcaerphilly.com/attractions/item/37021/Parc_Cwm_Darran.html

Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: marknott on November 30, 2013, 09:37:52 AM
See you there !!!

Got to burn of last nights dinner.!!!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Steven on November 30, 2013, 11:48:12 AM
Is it open? - it was closed on Sundays last year...
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Tom on November 30, 2013, 11:59:01 AM
Shouldn't this and the Amblers ride be stsrting at 9.30 tomorrow as we'll be in December??
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Rob Jones on November 30, 2013, 01:33:59 PM
Is it open? - it was closed on Sundays last year...

Don't think it ever closes on Sundays but it may not open until 11am...if we are early we can always do a 2nd loop up and over Gelligaer common - there are several great ways up there
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Rob Jones on November 30, 2013, 01:42:50 PM
Shouldn't this and the Amblers ride be stsrting at 9.30 tomorrow as we'll be in December??

Tom - see the top post from Andy!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Andy H on November 30, 2013, 04:11:11 PM
Just followed links to Parc Cwm Darran website and it does say cafe only open April to September, if so Costa in Caerphilly!?!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Rob Jones on November 30, 2013, 05:23:04 PM
Boo Cwm Darran  :(
Costs coffee sucks!  >:(
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Tom on November 30, 2013, 07:03:21 PM
Thanks Rob-I might have known Andy would be ahead of me!!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Andy H on December 01, 2013, 02:56:09 PM
Six on the pacers ride today, Rob, Steven, Will, Mark R, Mark N and myself. Weather cool, grey but dry as we headed east at a fast tempo (soon discovered Steven had a lunch appointment at the pub) towards Llantrisant.  Hoping that the early pace wouldn't 'fry' the legs before the climbs ahead we pushed on via the new road to Tonteg and down into Pontypridd.
The first climb of the day was over Whitehall Golf Club and I'd like to say how easy it was to stay ahead of Rob on this climb, unfortunately its not true because after a nature stop Rob had missed the turn and not made the climb!   :(
We realised at the top that Rob wasn't with and guessed (correctly) he'd gone around to Nelson. The five then continued up Shingrig Rd toward Bedlinog and the climb up to Gelligaer, at 14% a real challenge. I led the way at steady pace, chuckling to myself as Mark Nott blasted past after about 500 metres little did he know what was to come. To be fair he pushed on hard up the steepest section but was to suffer as we headed out of the village.
After giving us head start Mark Rosser was closing fast with Steven struggling to get any grip on his sleek back tyre bringing up the rear.
Mark R hit the front as we got up to the common followed by myself, Will, Mark N and Steven.
Great descent via Deri and Groesfaen to Bargoed then we all sat in Mark R's slipstream as he towed us virtually all the way back to Bridgend, we passed Caerphilly in a blur so no coffee stop!!

62 miles in 3:30 ave 17.7mph

Steven has requested that this route be a once a year ride, I didn't establish whether that is a calendar year or cycling season 'year'

Just about to make start on replenishing the 4488 calories Garmin says I used up!  :)
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: marknott on December 01, 2013, 04:26:43 PM
Andy,

A great account of the ride today, I certainly cant follow that apart from saying "my legs do not belong to me, what a climb. If that climb was a person it would be "The Devil" ! Evil !!!!!

I propose we rename it the Olympic Climb. Every 4 years !!! LOL.

Great ride gents.

Regards,

Mark.

Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Rob Jones on December 01, 2013, 06:16:41 PM

The first climb of the day was over Whitehall Golf Club and I'd like to say how easy it was to stay ahead of Rob on this climb, unfortunately its not true because after a nature stop Rob had missed the turn and not made the climb!   :(
We realised at the top that Rob wasn't with and guessed (correctly) he'd gone around to Nelson.

 :'( :'(Tut tut, you guys are off my extensive Christmas card list for 2013 - I wondered how you'd got out of sight so quickly...sneaking off to the right up some lane I've always assumed was a dead end (sure I went to a wedding up there once).

Nevermind rest assured I felt the pain of Bedlinog just the same (even if not at the same time as you guys). Normally the prevailing wind pushes you along a bit once you get out of the houses, but today it was a rather unhelpful northerly. I did enjoy the northerly from the top all the way down into to Caerphilly mind, even without shelter from Mr Rosser. That A469 is like a motorway mind! From Caerphilly I took a different route, over the mtn road - Unfortunately some idiot had definitely spread invisible sticky tar all over it, restricting my speed to a crawling pace as if I had no power left in my legs!  ???

In contrast, I think we should do hills like Bedlinog as often as the conditions permitt...then it won't hurt so much and everything else will seem easy in comparison  :-\
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Steven on December 01, 2013, 06:30:41 PM

Only two days into my very important role as decider of who wins 'The Trophy'  Top of the list is Mr Nott.  Came out with only one glove- bought 2 x right hands with him !  He then could not get his chain in the big ring and learnt to pedal with the oscillations of a Hummingbird on the way back....
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: marknott on December 01, 2013, 08:26:27 PM
Now come on Steven,
I think your being a bit biased with your comments.
Let me explain my actions,

Firstly the glove! I had a swollen left hand and the glove would not fit into it!.Where's the evidence that I had a second right glove ?????.
Secondly the gears!. You surely can`t sight me for a mechanical, outside of my control. I will appeal to the higher echelons if this nonsense continues ! LOL

Anyway what about Andy turning left into Bridgend Industrial Estate for a 9.30am Sunday Chain Gang !!!!!!! LOL.
Sorry Andy no mates when it comes to "The Trophy" !!!!!
Title: Re: Pacers Sunday 1st December
Post by: Tom on December 01, 2013, 10:43:38 PM
By 'Higher Echelons' I presume you mean Team Sky in a Team TT Mark?-sounds like protesting too much to me!