My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Jason T on June 15, 2016, 07:55:29 AM

Title: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 15, 2016, 07:55:29 AM
First Sunday in July, the 3rd, weather permitting!



I've always fancied going out to Tintern and doing a little climb near there, the roads it would take from the east of Newport and around to Usk are an unknown for me so a completely new location to get lost in (maybe Harpo should navigate).

This is the route I was thinking of and I modified the start and finish point to be at L'Oreal as Harpo seems up for it;
https://www.strava.com/routes/5351746

If people were to come from the normal start point then the mileage would be around 113 miles rather than the 95 miles on Strava.

We could probably do with a whole day (guessing seven hours with a stop) and there's plenty of options to stop, the main two would be Tintern and Usk around the half way mark.

I'm flexible but we would want a nice day during the summer or maybe even the 29th Aug (Summer Bank Holiday).

Would anyone be up for this at some point?

Cheers,

Jason
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Dave W on June 15, 2016, 12:14:15 PM
I'd be up for it  ;D
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Nige on June 16, 2016, 07:28:46 AM
Yes I would like to do this
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Andy H on June 16, 2016, 10:21:35 AM
Aye!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Greg B on June 16, 2016, 10:51:27 AM
Sounds good im up for that
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Rob Jones on June 16, 2016, 12:04:43 PM
Nice route as far as Little Mill...then understand the need to get direct given the distance.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Jason T on June 16, 2016, 12:40:05 PM
Indeed, probably some tired legs by that point with a bit of a kicker thrown in at Crumlin for good measure.

At least a few people are interested  :)
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Mark Pope on June 16, 2016, 02:15:09 PM
I'd be up for it too. I know the roads pretty well too as I used to live in Caerleon and near Monmouth.

Mark
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Jason T on June 16, 2016, 03:39:53 PM
Good Stuff ~ Looks like we may have a navigator then.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Dave W on June 16, 2016, 05:08:37 PM
Harpo's the navigator ;) ;D
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Jason T on June 16, 2016, 05:34:43 PM
We're Doomed
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Steve Chapman on June 18, 2016, 09:06:54 AM
Im up for it also, can we do it sooner though? Like these days out!!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Jason T on June 18, 2016, 12:03:22 PM
I'm up for it anytime (so long as it's dry and not blowing a gale), just wondering if Andy fancies it as he's not around this month for the club runs.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: RichardB on June 18, 2016, 05:22:56 PM
I'm up for this as long as I have some other amblers for company.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run
Post by: Andy H on June 18, 2016, 07:23:33 PM
First Sunday in July, the 3rd, weather permitting!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 19, 2016, 06:25:42 AM
I've updated the thread title with the date so let's hope for some good weather.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Mark B on June 21, 2016, 03:42:19 PM
I'll try and make it (I'll confirm a little closer to the time). But in case I can't make it, I have a recommendation for the stop - Usk Garden Centre has the best & biggest cakes going. Always really popular with cyclists for good reason! You go over the bridge in Usk, follow the road around to the left (for Caerleon) and it is less than a mile along on the left.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Tom on June 21, 2016, 03:57:22 PM
Thanks Mark-I ride past there quite frequently but didn't know about the cakes!!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Mark B on June 22, 2016, 08:11:30 PM
Unfortunately I can't make it - forgot about daughter's confirmation! I'll be thinking of you all though. Have fun.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Greg B on June 23, 2016, 09:33:54 AM
I'm taking my daughter up to Maidenhead that day so i cant make it too unfortuantly. Would have been a good training session for the Monster too!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on June 23, 2016, 10:43:24 AM
The 'Monster',  that's the 'elephant in the room' at the moment.


Can't say I'm looking forward to it, at the moment! Maybe getting the miles from doing the 12 and then the alternative summer run will change things. Hope so.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 23, 2016, 11:33:43 AM
I've just made a slight change to the route, out of Newport along the steel works, Magor, Caldicot and then back on to the A48.

This change sees us missing out 12 miles of the A48.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 27, 2016, 10:16:54 AM
A few people have asked what the start time on Sunday will be (providing the weather holds out and it's currently looking good).

I will meet people at the L'Oreal roundabout in Talbot Green 30 minutes after the start time and I'm pretty easy on a start time to be honest.

What's the consensus for a start time from Brackla (08:00, 08:30, 09:00)?
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Dave W on June 27, 2016, 10:46:57 AM
9am from Brackla for me  ;D
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Nige on June 27, 2016, 08:09:41 PM
Would prefer an earlier start as its a long day,but will go with the flow
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on June 28, 2016, 12:41:57 PM
If we're going all that way shouldn't we climb the 'Tumble' as well, maybe from the gnarly, steeper side?
Adds about 20kms!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 28, 2016, 12:48:59 PM
Sounds like a plan (now I know the way  ;)) to me, I'll mod the route on Strava.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 28, 2016, 01:01:20 PM
Was this the route up the tumble Andy?
https://www.strava.com/routes/5351746
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on June 28, 2016, 01:04:26 PM
Yes, that's the way!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on June 28, 2016, 01:08:28 PM
I see Rob J is still KOM for the Oak Lane section.

I'd vote for an earlier start, 8:00am Brackla - 8:30am L'Oreal rbt
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy S on June 29, 2016, 10:06:28 AM
Velothon re-run? :o
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 29, 2016, 11:11:42 AM
Not the normal route... are you joining us?
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on June 29, 2016, 11:41:26 AM
More interesting than the Velothon!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy S on June 29, 2016, 03:31:05 PM
Yes,but I bet it goes up some hideous hill just the same
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on June 29, 2016, 03:34:19 PM
Oh, yes!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: harpo on June 29, 2016, 06:17:06 PM
Think we should go for earlier start time then ;)
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: harpo on June 29, 2016, 07:48:13 PM
so is this route close to the 130 miles from bridgend? ???
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Dave W on June 29, 2016, 09:24:25 PM
Yes give or take a couple of miles :o
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: harpo on June 29, 2016, 09:46:37 PM
Most I've done is 119, so easy does it then!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on June 29, 2016, 10:01:03 PM
If we stop for lunch, it'll be two 65 mile rides, 'simples'!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on June 30, 2016, 07:51:19 AM
Good way to look at it  ;D
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Mark Pope on June 30, 2016, 05:26:16 PM
As I'm off to France with Mal on Monday to pootle up the Tourmalet, and take in a bit of the Tour (minus partners), I've had a gentle reminder about my domestic responsibilities this Sunday :-[. Therefore, I won't be joining Jason's awfully big adventure this weekend. However, as a pretty good compromise I will be able (allowed) to fit in a 3 hour amble instead. I'll post a proposed route for any other time-poor Ambler's for this Sunday in the next day or so.

Mark
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on July 01, 2016, 05:11:35 PM
Got to save those legs, have a good trip.

So, it'll be 08:00 at Brackla and 08:30 at L'Oreal.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on July 02, 2016, 06:59:00 PM
I'll be cycling out, from Cardiuf to meet you, somewhere between Llandaff and Griesfaen
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on July 02, 2016, 07:10:49 PM
Okay, I guess we'll be meeting Andy (Dodgy Knee's) somewhere along there as well.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Nige on July 02, 2016, 07:20:11 PM
I will be at Brackla 08:00.....
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on July 02, 2016, 07:23:16 PM
I'll be at L'Oreal at 08:30, weather is looking good for tomorrow  :)
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Steven on July 02, 2016, 09:11:48 PM
I'm out, knackered from this afternoon and a flying lesson booked for early pm.  Enjoy!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Steve Chapman on July 02, 2016, 09:14:51 PM
No point me going to Brackla just to come back again, so I'll see you at 8:30 obviously if it's dry  ;)
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy S on July 02, 2016, 09:43:12 PM
See you at/near Brackla at 8
Are you coming Pencoed Llanharan McDs Castell Mynach route?
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on July 03, 2016, 06:01:27 AM
Yes, although I would have thought we'll avoid McD's due to road works and the nasty roundabout;

Brackla -> Coychurch -> Pencoed -> Bryncae -> Llanharan -> L'Oreal -> Leekes -> Miskin -> Castell Mynach
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on July 03, 2016, 05:37:42 PM
Great riding today, excellent route Jason.
Not sure who started where but by the time I joined in Llandaff the group was 9 strong.
Jason, Allan, Haydn, Steve C, Nigel,Dave W, 'Dodgy', Matt (new rider) and myself. Some of the group seemed keen to get to the hills as soon as possible as we set a fair pace along the flats and docks road to Newport. Allan then smashed it down the past the steelworks to Magor, there wasn't much let up in the pace as we went though
Chepstow to Tintern and the first climb of the day, a steady affair that took us over to the Star Inn and decent to Usk. Allan peeled off here the rest of us had a good cafe stop at the Sprokwoggle cafe, nice courtyard, great coffee and cakes, Cornish pasty proved too much for Steve!  ;D
Refreshed we headed to Llanover and the gnarly route up the Tumble, with the resurfacing and the fact it was dry, proved to be less challenging than it has in the past. Though it was still quite a challenge! After t he usual thrash through Blaenavon and Abersychan then grind up to Haforyrynys, Jason revealed his cunning plan to cut out the roller-coasters along the dual carriageway A472. And very cunning it turned out to be, the 'Oakdale' climb a real snorter when you've got 80 to 90 miles in your legs. Turned out to be too much  for 1 or 2, who resorted to wearing out their cleats, no names mentioned!!
Blast down to Caerphilly for a second coffee stop and parted company at Taffs Well.
Great to do something similar if we have a good weather Sunday in August.
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on July 03, 2016, 06:10:30 PM
Good ride today everyone, here's that segment for the Oakdale Climb;
https://www.strava.com/segments/4511380?filter=overall
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Dave W on July 03, 2016, 07:00:07 PM
Awesome ride guys... 8)

Good route Jason...where we going next?
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on July 03, 2016, 07:22:38 PM
Well done Haydn, top 10, with 100 miles in your legs!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: wardhaugh on July 03, 2016, 09:06:16 PM
Great ride today lads. Those roads around Tintern are fantastic- good route Jase, and good to see you out again - and fitter than ever. Tintern's where I'm heading next time I'm at a swim meet in Newport. Strong riding from everyone today I thought. I was totally knackered soloing back from Usk - no idea how you managed to do all that climbing after your lunch - respect to you all. I struggled on the climbs on Llantrisant Road! I'm just really pleased to get a ride over 100km in. And my tan lines are superb  8)
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Mark Pope on July 03, 2016, 09:40:58 PM
Great effort boys, an Ogmore epic!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Dave W on July 03, 2016, 09:59:58 PM
Think that cafe knocked spots off baguette express :D

Here are some pics from today's day trip
https://goo.gl/photos/8qcshSLmGNFVyUSR6
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on July 03, 2016, 10:02:27 PM
Cafe pics show my stomach off, a treat!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Dave W on July 03, 2016, 10:23:11 PM
Andy you missed out that lovely old lady we met on the bridge... :o
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy S on July 03, 2016, 10:50:48 PM
Yup,she had some issue with rail electrification
Sad
Probably also voted out
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Nige on July 04, 2016, 07:16:47 AM
Great ride......got home exhausted
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy S on July 04, 2016, 11:05:06 AM
Legs won't work this morning
Shimano 11-32 cassette in the post
I'll see you as I smash it up the hill! (I wish,need to lose more weight)
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Andy H on July 04, 2016, 11:50:26 AM
Careful with a 32, make sure your rear derailleur can cope!
Title: Re: Alternative Summer Club Run ~ Sunday 03rd July
Post by: Jason T on July 04, 2016, 12:22:45 PM
You'll need a new chain as well as ensuring your derailleur will take the 32.