My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Mark Pope on February 27, 2016, 12:15:45 PM

Title: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Mark Pope on February 27, 2016, 12:15:45 PM
It's a pretty good forecast for tomorrow with Sunny spells and an Easterly breeze so I propose an Ambler's paced rehearsal of RR3. Recent ambles have occasionally gone a lot quicker than advertised, but tomorrow I'd like to 'try' and stick to our 15-16mph average speed. The stronger Amblers' can rip it up next week when we ride individually for a time on RR3.  I've tweaked the route slightly as there's no need to ride up to Coity and back and we'll bypass Cowbridge, but there's still no change out of 64 miles door to door, although there are escape routes for those having to get back for lunch/domestic duties. The route is:

Brackla - Coychurch - Pencoed - the Common - Sarn - Aberkenfig - Cefn Cribwr - Pyle - A48 - Water Street - Porthcawl - Ewenny - the Coast - the Lanes - St Athan - Green Dragon Lane - A48 - Bridgend - Brackla

We'll have a coffee at Cafe Velo and we should get a nice tail wind home along the A48. See you at 0900 tomorrow.

Mark
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Tom on February 27, 2016, 07:06:02 PM
Probably won't be out at 9(out tonight!)but hope to bump into you around Vale/Café Velo
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Mark Pope on February 27, 2016, 07:13:10 PM
Look forward to catching up Tom.
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Nick Langley on February 27, 2016, 09:13:37 PM
See you there
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Mark Pope on February 28, 2016, 03:40:46 PM
A decent turnout today in great Winter conditions, albeit with a brisk Easterly breeze to make us do some work! There were 12 Amblers out today and we mostly managed to stay together. The ride took in the route of RR3, to give the Amblers the chance to decide on which time they'll try for next week. We had a coffee stop at a packed Cafe Velo, where we also met up with Carrie and Tom, and were caught up with by Terry and Andy Samuels who had bagged a few extra miles before chasing us down. A great effort by those two but perhaps a push too far for for Andy who we left slumped in a chair with the glazed eyed look of a punch drunk boxer! After Cafe Velo the group split to take alternative routes home, with 5 of us carrying on to complete the majority of RR3. Out today were:

Andy's dodgy knees
Mal
Terry
Tony M
Lee S
Andy Storrie
Dave Short - Guest
Chris Reed
Rich Bowmer
Nick Langley
Mark P
Roy 2

Hopefully next week's Reliability Ride will be as Sunny and dry.

Mark
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Andy S on February 28, 2016, 04:13:18 PM
Taxi from Llantwit Major to Pentyrch please!
Thanks Terry for one hell of a beating
I struggled home,just about OK now
 :-\
Next time I go on holiday need to take the bike,seems like 3 weeks between rides is inadvisable!

 
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Mark Pope on February 28, 2016, 04:39:20 PM
Fair play Andy, you did do the first 50+ miles at 17.5mph. That's shifting for a dodgy Ambler ;)

Mark
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Tom on February 28, 2016, 05:01:31 PM
Yes Andy  you looked pretty good when I saw you and Terry in the lanes.
I guessed your eta at Café Velo pretty accurately Mark-sorry I didn't hang around but I'd come out in the opposite direction so as not too miss you-too nice a day not to carry on round the coast.3 hours and a bit for me but no idea how far or how fast-who cares!!
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: mal jones on February 29, 2016, 12:09:36 PM
Managed 16 mph for 50 mls but completely knackered for the rest of the day so I'll be doing the 4 hr option next week
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: mal jones on February 29, 2016, 12:11:25 PM
Managed 16 mph for 50 mls but completely knackered for the rest of the day so I'll be doing the 4 hr option next week
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Mark Pope on February 29, 2016, 03:05:36 PM
Good decision Mal, you'll do 4 hours easily. There should be a decent sized group taking the 4 hour option. I'm sure Nick Langley will be pleased with the company this time!
Title: Re: Amblers Club Run - Sunday 28 Feb
Post by: Nick Langley on March 02, 2016, 03:44:16 PM
I would be delighted with the company Mal 😀