My Community

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: traine on January 06, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Title: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on January 06, 2016, 04:48:49 PM
A chance to win your first trophy of 2016.

There is usually a very small entry for this competition so the odds on getting a win or a placing are good.

It is a knock out competition and the seeding is done by each competitor going against the clock for 1,000 metres on our competition rollers. Seconds are allowed to hold you up, as many as you wish. Indeed last year the second best time was achieved this way.

Riders are then paired to race against each other. In the knock out stages it is one race per pair only, not the best of three. It is only in the final that a best of three is used between first and second. The ride off for third may be only one ride but could be three depending upon how close the racing is !

Teresa is putting up a flyer explaining the rules of the competition so please have a look at this.

I will be riding my fixed wheel track bike for the actual race but will warm up on a road bike so I can work up to the 80 inch gear in which, to be competitive at all I will need to do a cadence of 120 to 130. I am working on it but my 69 year old legs have lost a bit of twitch !

I expect a few of you youngsters will have had rollers for Christmas. Here is a chance to demonstrate your skills and see where you are in training. Those without rollers but who are turbo-charged may want to have a go on the competition rollers. I am there every Friday except this Friday the 8th January and would be happy to help. I may be doing it myself.

Andy Harries is running a Turbo session on Friday 22nd January and I will be there too with the rollers. Incidentally the rollers and clock are kept at HQ in the back storeroom and for those wanting them any Friday they may get them out and use them without supervision.

Give it a go. It could be the first of many trophies for you or the only one of the year. You have to be in it to win it !

Tim
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Teresa on January 06, 2016, 05:07:28 PM
Flyer attached explaining the rules of the competition
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Dave W on January 06, 2016, 10:38:01 PM
Fancied a go at this..but quick check of the dairy and I'm not free that night... :(
Here's a good video for rollers
http://youtu.be/peT2gOHaX_g
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Andy H on January 06, 2016, 10:49:57 PM
I'll be getting the rollers out this Friday night, (not to demo as I'm no roller expert) but Paul Nicholas wants to have a try out and if anybody else fancies it come along!

Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on January 14, 2016, 09:17:53 AM
This Friday, the 15th January, Andy is running a Turbo session and I will get the competition rollers out to have a practice myself. If there is someone else wanting to have a go we can get out the clock as well. That would be a bit of fun.
After my 3 day walking holiday last weekend I need to get my cadence back up so will be spinning a low gear on my road fixie.
Tim
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Andy H on January 14, 2016, 11:51:11 AM


Andy Harries is running a Turbo session on Friday 22nd January and I will be there too with the rollers. Incidentally the rollers and clock are kept at HQ in the back storeroom and for those wanting them any Friday they may get them out and use them without supervision.

Give it a go. It could be the first of many trophies for you or the only one of the year. You have to be in it to win it !

Tim
Tim the date in your original post above, is correct, Friday 22nd January, not sure I can make club tonight tomorrow, if I can I'll help with the rollers but I've told a few people about turbo session on 22nd

Andy
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Paul Nicholas on January 14, 2016, 04:02:25 PM
I'm intending to come down on Friday with my track bike to have another go on the rollers. Do you think a 74 inch gear will be OK to practice the rollers with Tim?
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on January 15, 2016, 06:45:36 PM
Paul.
74 inch is fine. See you there.
See Andy's post. We can also do it next week with others plus music !
Tim
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Paul Nicholas on January 17, 2016, 09:13:07 PM
Thanks for the tips this week, I'll be on the rollers next week too.
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on January 19, 2016, 01:33:16 PM
Paul
We will have the clock out this Friday, just for fun.
I have yet to order my new home rollers but when I do, and after I have tested them, my old tacx rollers may be for sale. They are pretty old but have a steel frame (chrome with rust spots) and plastic, flat rollers. I might save selling them until the auction in November but I wondered if anyone might be interested if I decide to sell soon ?
If I bring my old rollers on Friday this will increase the potential for others to practice too. 3 together AND try to follow Andy's training instructions !
Tim
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on January 25, 2016, 06:37:58 PM
Great session last Friday. Good workout and good fun. Andy and Toestrap Steve on Turbo and Paul and I on the rollers with the clock working. Plus a tidy pint in The 6 Bells afterwards with Paul, Keith and Steve Landeg.
Andy has now bagged my old rollers after I got my new ones from the Wiggle sale. Great value. I will give them a try tonight.
It looks as though we will have at least 6 competitors in the Roller Competition now. I know there are more members out there who can race. It would be good to have at least 8 so we can have a proper knockout.
Step up those who need to practice. I am happy to join anyone who wants to have a go. We now have at least 4 sets we can get going any Friday. The competition rollers are at the clubhouse so there is no need to book ahead. Just turn up with your road bike and your usual shoes.
It's looking good this year, let's make it great fun on the night.
Tim

Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on February 03, 2016, 08:28:53 AM
Friday 5th February
I intend to go to the vets track session in Newport this Friday. It starts at 4.00pm but I will only do an hour, probably only on the black line. Even so I doubt if I will be on the rollers in club but I will be there to help set up and will bring my old rollers for Andy.
Paul intends to be on the competition rollers. All are invited to try for the first time (I will help) or to have some practice.
Remember the competition is only two weeks away now !
See you there
Tim
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Andy H on February 03, 2016, 12:31:45 PM
I'll be along to help out and to have a practice myself, managed about 30 seconds unsupported last Friday!  :-[

This is open to all, you can be supported on the rollers, so can still compete.
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Paul Nicholas on February 03, 2016, 08:38:20 PM
I'm hoping to come down on Friday for roller action. I'm up for the competition too, should be a laugh only had 5 or 6 goes on the rollers and need breaks intermittently when I think to much about what I'm doing and get the wobbles!
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on February 08, 2016, 09:20:47 PM
12th February. Last chance to practice on the Competition Rollers.

Let's have a bit of fun this Friday with the clock out as well and see who is getting better/faster and in control.

As Andy says, in the competition itself you can be supported by your 'seconds'. You can have as many as you like so bring them along and work out how you work best together. Last year one of the competitors rode the heats with one hand on the back of a chair and did very well. Was it Ross ?

If Andy brings his rollers too we will have 4 sets to have a go on. If Steve Landeg can find his in the back of his garage, we will have 5. I think he is secretly training ! There are people like that in the Club you know !

As additional incentive I am putting up a prize of a bottle of wine for the winner of the competition on the 19th. That is in addition to the trophy at the Club Dinner at the end of the season. If I thought there might be more than 6 competitors I would make that a bottle of Champagne with a bottle of wine for the runner - up !

It would also be good to have a decent audience on the 19th to cheer the competitors on. Would club members please come along to support this event and join in the encouragement. Also family members ! What about partners, children and friends.

We start at 8.30pm and should be done by 9.30 so there is time for a pint in the 6 Bells after !

Tim

Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: Andy H on February 09, 2016, 01:53:48 PM
I'll bring my rollers along and I'd encourage all members to come and have a go. The more people that enter the comp the more fun it'll be. OK we may be having fun at your expense but its a laugh all the same.

Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on February 17, 2016, 08:00:06 PM
Norman will chair the judging and will be assisted by Teresa and Mary

The judges will decide the running of the event depending upon the numbers entered

All competitors will start with a 1 kilometre time trial on the competition rollers and will then be seeded for the competition.

Remember that gearing is limited to 80 inches. Make sure you know what gear that is on your competition bike and are able to demonstrate this to the judges. No higher gear may be used. It would be useful to be able to show cogs which are marked as to size and be able to reference them on the best chart provided. If in doubt there are gear charts on the internet to use.

The clubhouse will be open just before 8.00pm so there will be an opportunity to warm up. TT,s will start at 8.30pm.

Spectators are required ! All competitors will need a cheer to keep them going as fast as they can. Last year Mark Rosser exceeded 50 kph on average from a standing start ! ! !

See you there

Tim
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: norman james on February 20, 2016, 05:42:58 AM
RESULT OF THE ROLLER COMPETITION  19th.February 2016

Round 1  -  Time Trial
Mark Rosser        1min. 09.61secs.  1st
Andy Harries       1min. 19.29secs.  2nd.
Paul Nicholas      1min. 20.75secs.  3rd.
Tim Raine            1min. 25.86secs.  4th.

Round 2  -  Knock-out
2nd. v 4th.
Andy Harries (1min.18.58secs.) beat Tim Raine (1min.26.82secs.).
1st  v  3rd.
Mark Rosser (1min.07.68secs.) beat Paul Nicholas (1min. 17.12secs.).

Final Round  -  Knock-out (Best of 3 rides).
1st.Ride  Mark Rosser (1min.02.93secs.) beat Andy Harries (1min.18.59secs.).
2nd.Ride Mark Rosser (1min.11.14secs.) beat Andy Harries (1min.19.40secs.).

Ogmore Valley Whs. Club Roller Champion 2016  Mark Rosser.

Starter - Lynne James.  Recorder Teresa Deeley.  Timekeepers Mary Marks & Norman James. 
Clock Hand Setter  Terry Anthony.

This was a good effort by all concerned!  Well done Mark for winning your 3rd.Championship on the trot.
Thanks to the helpers and the vocal supporters.
Title: Re: Roller Competition Friday 19th February
Post by: traine on February 20, 2016, 02:30:53 PM
Thank you Norman

The event went very smoothly, your gear measuring went down very well. I am not surprised that my legs hurt this morning after seeing quite how high a gear 80inches is measured on the floor.

Marks winning efforts are put into context when you consider he was averaging almost 60 kph from a standing start.

I am not displeased with my own efforts after consideration. Must try harder next year !

For those inspired by the event, Paul has suggested that we get out to rollers once a fortnight, when there is a Turbo training session or on demand from members. I am up for this and will be happy to help anyone who wants to train or, indeed, have a go for the first time. Getting some confidence now will be a good start towards having a go at the competition in 2017.

Many congratulations to Mark for a convincing win again and good luck to Andy who heads off to New Zealand at the end of next week to compete in his Iron Man Triathlon.

Finally, many thanks for the help and encouragement of all those who came along to help and support we riders who all enjoyed the experience.

Cheers

Tim