My Community
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Dave W on September 16, 2015, 06:16:47 PM
-
bargain price if you haven't got one or want a spare ::)
[attachment deleted by admin]
-
Carrie and Paul were badgering me to buy a Garmin on Tuesday but I think Carrie said if she were buying one now she'd get an 800??(that maybe wrong)Can someone tell me if I should block out 24th in my diary.Jason-you're a technical wiz aren't you??
-
For you Tom I suggest the 500. It's the best value I reckon of all Garmins and thats a good price. I currently have the 510, previously the 500.
-
Thanks Rob.Why 'For Me'?Because it's very complicated and you have to be very tech savvy?
-
Garmin 500 is great does everything. unless you want to connect to your phone be tracked everywhere and have the newest feature on the 520 live segments....or have turn by turn functions on the other Garmins
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/edgecomparisonchart.html
-
Thanks Dave-as I don't have a smart phone this sounds up my street!
-
If you don’t need GPS Navigation and where breadcrumbs will do and you don’t need an oversized/large screen then the Edge 500 is a fantastic piece of kit... and as Dave has said no smart phone functionality.
The screens are fully customizable so you can get by with scrolling through screens and having a large display on each, the battery life is phenomenal and it has buttons ~ This is a huge advantage during the cold weather where you have thick gloves, buttons just make much more sense and I believe the new Garmin Edge has moved back to buttons.
The Edge 500 is showing its age is some areas, power metrics and configuration of power is one such area but if you don’t use these silly things then you’ll be fine.
I would highly recommend the Edge 500 if you’re look at this type of device Tom.
-
....and if you follow Robs lead in the way that you mount your Garmin to the handlebars then no opportunist can pinch it at a coffee stop :)
-
Thanks Jason-I knew you were the man to ask!I couldn't see the GPS maps anyway so I'll pencil in a trip to Aldi next week!
-
I am guessing Tom's main interest is being able to download his rides onto Strava.
What's that about securing Garmin from theft at coffee shops Jason? Wouldn't you just unclick it and place in pocket?
-
I'm pretty sure ( ???) at one point, I think it was when we were at Costa in Caerphilly with Keith & Andy on the Tandem, that you had the 500 mounted so close to the stem that it couldn't be removed.... maybe ~ I might have got that wrong as it was a while ago.
-
Good memory. You are right, though can't even remember why I had it like that! Possibly to cram other stuff like light bracket on the bar alongside.
-
It's not just Garmins they're having one of their cycling promotions-obviously all Winter kit-if it's up to the usual standard it will be well worth popping in.Bib tights for £29 for example
-
Picked up a couple of leaflets today. Will bring to club tonight
Quite a lot of cycling stuff in there.
-
Did anyone get a garmin?
-
You had to be a very Early Bird-they had a queue when they opened apparently.I couldn't ride down because of my accident on Tuesday(think I'll be about a week or so)so had to wait for a lift.They'd long gone by 8.45 but I did get some new base layers&thermals plus waterproof socks.Hoping I won't need any of that lot for ages though!