My Community

General Category => Club Runs => Topic started by: Andy H on June 20, 2015, 10:39:22 AM

Title: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Andy H on June 20, 2015, 10:39:22 AM
Planned a great route around Brecon Beacon, 100 miler, enough climbing to qualify for a Rob Jones 'epic', with 9800ft in those 100 miles!
Needless to say it'll be a long day and ALSO involves starting in Glynneath or Hirwaun
So, here's the route:-
https://www.strava.com/routes/2435583

I was thinking of an 8:00am start, don't know about parking in Glynneath but thought we could meet at the layby on A465 just before Hirwaun roundabout.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7347574,-3.5072886,226m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Let me know what you think.

p.s.  think of it as a day out rather than a club run
p.p.s. all welcome but its a tough ride!
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Jason T on June 20, 2015, 11:23:29 AM
Looks good... I should be up for this if the weather is half decent.

There would appear to be a car park in Glynneath;
http://tinyurl.com/q5tw4yt

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7463042,-3.6243111,93m/data=!3m1!1e3

This could be mentally challenging, dropping down past Pontsticill (70 Mile Mark) and then heading north again  ;D
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 20, 2015, 11:31:47 AM
To qualify for a Rob Jones 'epic' on distance and climbing criteria alone, said ride must be a distance of 100 miles or more and have a climbing to distance ratio of at least 100ft:1 mile. There are other things can make an epic ride though such as rain, wind, cold, good company and great coffee...

Will have a more detailed look at the route and meeting up plans later.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Andy H on June 23, 2015, 09:39:08 PM
Weather forecast for \Sunday not looking great, so may have to rethink route and leave this one for another day.

Will keep an eye on the forecast and post later in the week.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Jason T on June 24, 2015, 07:47:19 AM
I'm happy to postpone this ride if need be, it would be best to have good (Dry & Not Too Windy) weather for this route IMO.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Steven on June 24, 2015, 10:42:10 PM
Cloudy with 10mph winds . What's not to like?
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Andy H on June 24, 2015, 11:07:25 PM
Improvement from heavy rain and 17mph winds on yesterday's forecast.

See how it looks on Friday/Saturday's forecast
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 26, 2015, 01:32:27 PM
Looked like heavy rain still forecast for sunday from today. Didn't catch wind speed but low pressure swirling around S Wales...shame as wet days few and far between this month.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Andy H on June 26, 2015, 01:47:45 PM
Doesn't look that great, again today; will work on a plan B.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Steven on June 26, 2015, 02:48:20 PM
I'd like 4 hours to give me confidence for the National 100. Happy to go out solo for an hour beforehand..
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Andy H on June 26, 2015, 04:55:39 PM
I'm sure I can manage that without it being quite such an exposed route.

Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Andy H on June 26, 2015, 10:40:23 PM
Forecast pretty wet for Sunday. Here's an alternative route bring your rain gear!

https://www.strava.com/routes/2676493

Normal 9:00 am meet at Brackla
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Andy H on June 28, 2015, 01:16:08 PM
Definitely a rule#5 day today, HTFU!

Only 3 pacers for a summer excursion to the beautiful Gower, good pace, windy and I think it rained…........ a bit!
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Steven on June 28, 2015, 02:09:35 PM
Andy, Jason and I did a 77 mile Gower loop. I think it may have stopped raining at times but I can't remember when!  Two points,

The Gabba jacket is the best cycling innovation since Lycra. I wore this with only a thin vest top underneath and was comfortable.

Jason Turvey needs to enter some races...
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Jason T on June 28, 2015, 04:13:54 PM
Good ride today, a little grim at times and a need to pick some grit from between my teeth when I arrived home but it wasn't that bad at all.

Well done to Steven for venturing out on such a day when it's his birthday  ;D

Cheers Chaps.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Jason T on June 28, 2015, 04:17:40 PM
By the way, this was the garment I was referring to on the club run;
http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-softshell-base-layer/product/SHB01

IIRC I have seen this in sales closer to £50, probably over the top unless you intend to race or do a TT and wear club/team kit over the top of it.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 28, 2015, 06:20:23 PM
I'm guessing then that the Gabba was a birthday present!

What puts me off one is that if they are as good as everyone makes out then I'd want at least 3...the more versatile the clothing the more you are going to want it for pretty much every ride!
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 28, 2015, 06:23:03 PM
And as for the Rapha...even £50 is silly money for a base layer in my view. Its still going to stink at the end of the ride!
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 28, 2015, 10:02:59 PM
Rapha thing does look interesting mind, from a racing perspective.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Jason T on June 29, 2015, 07:35:54 AM
The Gabba really is a good piece of kit to have available to you, I would suggest keeping an eye out in the sales ~ I picked one up early last year before the Gabba 2 came out for £70 odd.

I have the yellow one and a black one, I suggest you stick to black due to the grime you pick up if you do consider one.

A number of manufacturers now offer similar products, like Rapha, while I have their race jack which is similar to the Gabba I see no need (for me) for the baselayer.

The baselayer seems like a cut down gabba, no need for the storm flap or rear pockets as it's an under garment, so if it performs like their jacket or gabba it would be a great item for racing or when you need to be seen in certain kit.
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Steven on June 29, 2015, 04:18:04 PM
I was scared about overheating, so I only had a thin short sleeved base layer on underneath. I was not too hot or too cold during the ride.  I was amazed when I took it off to notice my back was completely dry ! If it's going to make riding in adverse weather more comfortable, then it's worth every penny..
Title: Re: Something different! Oggies club run Sunday 28th June
Post by: Rob Jones on June 29, 2015, 07:23:31 PM
Could you wear it on a typical winters day - say 8-10 degrees, wet and windy with nothing else on top? The Gabba that is. If I could pick one up with detachable arms for 70 then I probably would.